94 DB7 LS to 94 DB8 GSR conversion

djv1986

got the old motor and trans out to find out my clutch was broken :(

got the new clutch in the mail with light flywheel new master cyl and slave cyl.

got the engine back in the car with all new oem type r engine mounts..

djv1986

the car blew up a month before haloween last year and still to this day haven't even filled the engine with oil yet when i get it running ill post the final pics with the new radiator new cold air intake and hopeful won't have to take it to a state referee for smog
-
about am onto ago i wrote a list of the parts i bought and the total I've spent so far holy shit i thought hondas were cheap :(

-
hopefully i did a good job and the car runs good thanks all for looking and hopeful have positive comments and feedback from the swap

Last edited:

j13

Keep It Clean
This was great to read and watch! Cool build, was it a pain to swap the harness?

98silverdb8

nice build so far,i would love to swap a gsr motor in my ls but after seeing #'s on yours and others think ill just save my $$ and eventually buy a nice turbo kit for my b18

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Sweet build man! Even made it look stock, so it will be hard to tell if it's an actual GSR or LS! It would be sweet if you could change your VIN from DB7 to DB8! :)!

djv1986

This was great to read and watch! Cool build, was it a pain to swap the harness?
Not a pain due to in a mechanic and have done many heater cores but it took me about 8-10 hours to swap the harness the hardest part was finding a Gsr obd1 harness that was uncut

djv1986

Sweet build man! Even made it look stock, so it will be hard to tell if it's an actual GSR or LS! It would be sweet if you could change your VIN from DB7 to DB8! :)!
I believe the obd1 gsrs had a sun roof which idont have on my car but I do have the entire roof with matching color headliner to convert my car factory sun roof while I had the dash out I pre ran the drain tubes for the sunroof

Cripton805

I would have just bought a JDM Swap and ran it to the ground and then rebuilt that later on. 1k alone was for a crappy GSR long block. I would have bought one as a whole with worn rings if you wanted a rebuild.

djv1986

I live in California I can't run a Jdm swap I won't pass smog. And u could spend 3-4000 for a USED swap I have prob 3-4g in my engine total including all oem parts port work machine work oem bearings in bottom end and will smog

96GreenDB

The cost was relatively up there for this kind of swap, BUT you replaced everything with brand new oem or quality aftermarket parts before installing which is more than most people do when swapping engines. You will have more peace of mind spending th extra cash and time doing it right and wont have much to worry about compared to buying a used engine and down the road notknowing what could go wrong. great job man dont let anyone tell you that you should have done anything differently.

Cripton805

I live in California I can't run a Jdm swap I won't pass smog. And u could spend 3-4000 for a USED swap I have prob 3-4g in my engine total including all oem parts port work machine work oem bearings in bottom end and will smog
In that case I would have bought a DB8 for 5k :shock:
Swapped the current one with a JDM B18B (Smogable) since its in a DC4 Chassis.

I learned my lesson in my previous build. Sure this will run cherry, but I assure you, with the CAR bug it never ends therefore most of this money will be well spent until.

A. It's stolen
B. It's wrecked
C. You move on (Most likely) unless you're a rare kind of car person. lol

I don't blame you for doing an extensive build. If I had cash to throw away, I'd have a completely stock and rare 92-93 GSR rebuilt and stored because I like them so much. I'm just your average Joe though.
I could have cut so many corners to save you cash while maintaining the same reliability that you have here.

Last edited:

djv1986

i don't really have the extra cash i work full time and my other truck gets like 10mpg so i need to get the car running soon and its been a long time since it blew up and still not running