94 gsr headlight restoration

natron84

Forgive me guys if I put this in the wrong spot, but this is my first thread in CI. I decided to try and restore my yellowed out passenger headlight today. This is how it went... This is what i started out with.
[/IMG] I picked up this kit at advanced auto for $24
[/IMG] The kit came with three different sandpapers 400, 800, 1600 grit, and a buffer with a wax. The kit also includes an adapter for a regular household drill. So i masked off the lights and went through each stage...
[/IMG] After i was done with it all the light still looked like @$$,
[/IMG] so i decided to take the light off and check the inside. The previous owner of this car must have gotten into a fist fight with the sandman cuz this thing was filthy inside. I had a lot going on, so i didnt get a chance to take any pictures of the inside but this is some of what came out.
[/IMG] I repeated the sanding process on the inside of the lenses, repainted the reflective area chrome, sealed it up with a blowdryer... and here it is.
[/IMG]
[/IMG] Its not perfect. But good enough for me. What do you folks think?

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Nice, looks like you got a little overzealous with the sandpaper and scratched the paint a little; but overall, not bad :thumbs up

natron84

Thanks...actually thats just leftover bits of masking tape. I forgot to take it off before i wet sanded it, so i kinda had a hard time getting it all off:)

BeatBox

Real Good!
not bad at all, i bought the same kit for my taillights. they look brand new after using that kit

96GSRteg

Tyler
looks good. i think this is one of the cheapest and easiest things people can do to bring their car back to life.

natron84

not bad at all, i bought the same kit for my taillights. they look brand new after using that kit
Have they held up well over time? I've been considering a clear film as a means of preventing it from coming back.

Kinta94

hmm I used a harbor freight kit and mine turned out better than that.

but they look alot better than the yellow before!

before

after

yeah they are on different sides but they where in the same condition and mine turned out perfect.

natron84

My problem was mostly the crap that was somehow inside the light. It pretty much caused everything inside the light to rot. if you look closely you can see that the lenses themselves have cracks in them that kinda look like when rubber dry rots. Oh well... One day I'll get around to the jdm conversion. Till then this'll do.
BTW yours looks fantastic!

NEEK94LS

Wow you did a good really good job but for future refrence, theres this liquid you can buy that takes all that nasty yellow stuff off the lights, I used it on my car and it worked wonders. Its like 5$ but I forgot the name, autozone sells it though. Great job anyway.