94 Integra VTEC running hot!!

BankiBoi

I have a 94 Acura Integra V-Tec, i can drive for hours without it getting hot but when I down shift after driving for a while it gets hot. I open the release valve to the coolent but theres alot of air in there:wtf: how do i get all the air out at once or is it the water pump not working right?

dekaf

pǝʇuɐɹb ɹoɟ buıɥʇou ǝʞɐʇ
How long do you stay in a lower gear? If your RPMs are high then obviously its going to get hot. Shouldn't get hot really quick though only if you stay at high RPMs for a long time.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
How long do you stay in a lower gear? If your RPMs are high then obviously its going to get hot. Shouldn't get hot really quick though only if you stay at high RPMs for a long time.
High RPM's shouldn't affect the heat THAT much. I run my car @ 5k-8.1k, 2nd through 4th at the track all day long and it doesn't overheat.

dekaf

pǝʇuɐɹb ɹoɟ buıɥʇou ǝʞɐʇ
Ya I don't even know why I talk. I'll just chill in the lounge.

eg6ie

sounds like u just bled the coolant. since you let the air out, does it still overheat?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Ya I don't even know why I talk. I'll just chill in the lounge.
No your input is important! It's also important that he knows using his power band isn't a bad thing, that's all.

BankiBoi

its not the gears, but when it does get hot i bleed it and it cools back down i just want to find a quick fix to this problem before i have to spend more money rebuilding my engine without any upgrades

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
I had this problem, so listen to my advice... that is if you still have air in your block. Loosen the release bolt on the head. Switch your panel all the way to hot. Don't turn on the blower mind you, this takes away the engine heat. Bleed your upper hose until you see a streamline of only coolant and do the same for the lower hose then you're done. See? It's easy. This also could prevent you from your fans kicking on due to the coolant not reaching the switch. If you did this right and of course for verification, the cooling fans will kick on after the car has been to operating temperature and at a still idle for about 5 mins. Rev it up to 2-3k if you're impatient. Oh yea, remember to tighten the release bolt and fill coolant appropriately to resevoir. Check after a couple hours of use in your res and fill accordingly.

BankiBoi

i thought that too but i changed it and some sensor as well but still nothing and changing that thing is a bitch

If you want the coolant system completely drained of air this is the easiest way to do it.
2 options:
a)Go to a shop where the mechanic has the tool(I know Cornwell makes it, So Snap On, Mac, and Matco probably do too) that uses the air hose to create a vacuum and suck all the air out of the system. It also has another fitting that fills the system completely with coolant without putting any air in it at all.
b) Buy the tool yourself and do it at home if you have an air compressor.

oodie

What kind of theromstat did you use? to get the air out just fill the radiator and reservoir to the max.... turn heat on full blast turn the car on with the radiator cap off... once the thermostat opens just keep pouring coolant in until the air stops bubbling out.... to make it a little easier you can rig up a 2 liter bottle or so upside down screwed into your radiator and just pour the coolant in there and you will see the bubbles ... just keep it full so air doesnt get sucked back in...