'94 Integra weird start problems

LmOnAy

Hey guys,

I'm just having problems starting here and there. My car would start fine in the morning and run perfect. Although when it's running it lets go a gas-like smell. Once i turn it off(after driving a couple miles or so) it won't start. The engine will sound but it will not start. I have to wait about 45 minutes or so for it to start. I appreciate the help guys. thanks in advance. Car: 1994 LS Integra.

NeroCB7

Honda Lover
IDK about integras but i had a similar problem with my 90 accord but maybe the main relay perhaps????

OlegWasHere

had a similar problem. car wouldnt start in the cold or when i left the garage door open(that was weird)
id park outside sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't.

check your battery connections.
after i replaced the terminals i havent had any problems.
i think they were like 4 dollars.

LmOnAy

NeroCB7- yeah, the relay was what my mechanic thought might be the problem.

OlegWasHere- man the unpredictable start is so annoying. i'm gonna check it out in the morning.

Thanks for the info guys.

avan

The problem sounds like your Ignition control module is going bad. On a car that old, it is very much likely that it is begiining to fail. The sporadic nature of the failure with repect to the cold start and failure after the car has warm up would seem to me that with increasing temp the ICM shut down. The IMC is located within the dizzy housing. It is mounted on the side of the inside of the dizzy by 2 screws. 50 dollars at auto zone. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

aaron0815

my problem is when the gas is low, it takes longer to start 0.0

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
The problem sounds like your Ignition control module is going bad. On a car that old, it is very much likely that it is begiining to fail. The sporadic nature of the failure with repect to the cold start and failure after the car has warm up would seem to me that with increasing temp the ICM shut down. The IMC is located within the dizzy housing. It is mounted on the side of the inside of the dizzy by 2 screws. 50 dollars at auto zone. Good luck let us know how it turns out.
does it spin over when it wont start or just do nothing when u turn the key? if the ICM is bad it wont even crank

LmOnAy

hey guys

i think i found the problem. just replaced the sparkplugs and one of them were loose. ever since putting in the new ones and tightening them up i've been re-starting the car after a drive and its been restarting pretty well. i'll update you guys if i run into any problems. thanks for the help

LmOnAy

update: about a week and half of perfect starting after switching up my plugs, car won't start again. i finally had a chance to get a new relay and it worked the first few tries. I got to work (about 2-3 miles from my house) turned it off, and started it again, and it did. i came back like an hour and a half later and it won't start. engine still turns. i'm gonna try the other things you guys mentioned. It's getting annoying though man!

sum41bum411

check your coils in the igm sometimes when the igm goes bad the coils are the first to go. It makes perfect sense for the cold weather thing because when your coils get to hot the system will automatically shut itself down to avoid a fire. I had a similar problem in my 95 but i just put in a rebuilt starter and its been working fine ever since=) but whoever commented on avans post is right though mine didnt even crank but check your coils it could be them