95 integra engine cuts off when i'm at a stop

arowana

Ok, here's the story.....A few months ago my integra dies on me while i was driving. Replaced the ignition coil and everything is fine. Now my car dies on me about 4 or 5 times a day while im at a stop. I just restart and continue to drive. This is going on for about 2 weeks now. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

arowana

forgot to mention its an automatic....and yes it just stop ...sometimes i put the car into neutral and step on the gas and shift to drive

arowana

I did change the ignition coil about two months ago when my car came to a compete stop and didnt start again. Got it towed home and replaced the ignition coil. You think the igniton coil is bad again?

avan

It sounds like the problem is electrical. If you have recently changed your ign coil my bet is your Ignition control module (ICM) is bad. It is located in your dizzy and often fails when the car is old and running or idles . The heat in the ditributor causes the IMC to temporarily shuts down. This keeps happens until the ICM finally fails.
Typiically the car just cut off instantly when the ICM is bad. The tachometer just drops to zero instantly. Good luck.

foxracer20620

Could even be a fuel pump do you have to give it gas before you start it? I had a problem similar about two years ago i will look at my paper work and see if I can find what they replaced.

avan

yes . you can remove the ICM. It is inside the dizzy and held down by 2 screws. Remove the cap and rotor and you can get acces to it . It lies next to the Ignition coil. It cost about 50-70 dollars at autozone. You can have them run a check on it to make sure. If however the test sometimes is good and sometimes is bad then I would definitely change the ICM. Remenmber this thing often fails because it is old and then become quite sensitive to heat. When the car get a little hot then it fails. Just have them test it for several times just to make sure. Good luck.

HKDxSAVIER

dizzy or spark plugs or spark p wires

i just replaced mine today i had barely bought the car
the idle wouldnt stay still but now its fine =]]

i was hoping it wasnt the dizzy
expensive
=\

chunkylover53

RIP Integra - Engine Shutting Off

I had an off and on problem for years where my 1994 Acura Integra LS would occasionally shut the engine off while driving or would have a hard time starting for no apparent reason then be fine. I'd usually just keep trying to start it for 10-20 minutes before it would start again. I'd have problems for a week or two then it would be fine for six months before starting again. I told the dealer about it several times but they never saw the problem and therefore couldn't do anything about it. Finally a month ago the problems started again and it was worse than ever. It was dying every other time I drove it. I finally took it into the dealer and they gave me a new battery, spark plugs, etc. for $500. I knew that wasn't going to fix it since I've had the problem for many years and the problem was going to be caused by a part you don't normally replace. So it didn't fix it and after the problem happened again I took it to the other Acura dealer in town. They did alot of testing and found problem after problem. They knew the ignitor, coil and fuel pump were all bad and needed replacing. Add that to the diagnostics and the bill was $1,700. And on top of that they said we'd still need to monitor the car to see if there were any other bad parts. So I made the decision to cut my losses and not have the repairs done. I sold it to a mechanic at the dealer for $400. It was sad because I had maintained the car well and was expecting to be able to keep it indefinitely. If it was just one part or if the dealer had pinpointed it years ago I would have had the repairs done, but at this point it's just too much to spend on a car that's 17 years old and that my wife has been nagging me to replace for five years.