96 Integra GSR

necromonger

I don't know where to post this.

After asking here and on several other forums, talking to some people over the weekend, talking to shops, they all tell me the same thing about boosting... that is to build my engine first.

So I went to 3 shops and have gotten these price estimates on my B18C1

Shop 1:
$3600-$4000 to fully build the block and head.
Port and Polished, Forged Pistons, Rods, Sleeves.. Cam shaft, springs, and valves.. etc. Basically the guy told me they'll make my whole engine brand new ready for boost, replacing all gaskets with better bolts and screws. He told me I will be able to do 350-400whp

$2500 for the block and around $800 for the head. $3000 for turbo and tuning. Total around $6000

Shop 2: Outside friend's shop
$2200-$2500 to build the block
Basically setting up my block for boost. I'm going to this shop again tomorrow to see some of their built cars. The shop did the exact same job I want for another GSR. For $5500 they'll do the block, and installing and tuning a turbo kit. Injectors, fuel pump and everything. Numbers they gave me were anywhere around 350whp

Shop 3: My team's shop
$2700
Fully build the block, includes boring it, polish, bigger pistons, sleeved, better crank etc. Ready for turbo too.

So far I got $3100 saved up for this. Are these some good prices?

P.S. My engine has 150K miles. I'm planning to drop $8K by the end of this year on the car. I'm also still new to most of this, the most I've ever tuned my car in the past was with air intakes, but now I want to try and push my car further.

Last edited:

choyoyoing

How you like my v-tec?
i hope you have a built shell/suspension/brakes to compensate for your hardcore motor.
I was thinking the same thing ha-ha. wth?

But anyway, the B18C1 engine is a good engine to turbo. Have you ever thought of Supercharging rather than Turbo? You can get great HP gain with a supercharger and not have to re-build your engine. So, you'll save alot of money. Also, with a supercharger your power will be constant from low-end to high-end. I know you can get a turbo set-up so your Turbo power is pretty much constant as well, but again it costs alot of money.

But if your set on a Turbo, then try for a T70. It will be more money, but you'll be happier in the long run.

As for your Price Quotes...they're all pretty good pricing. Just make sure the people you let do the set-up are people you can trust.

**let us know how it turns out because I'm still up in the air on which set up I should do: Turbo or Supercharge8)

mirrorimg

I don't know where to post this.

After asking here and on several other forums, talking to some people over the weekend, talking to shops, they all tell me the same thing about boosting... that is to build my engine first.

So I went to 3 shops and have gotten these price estimates on my B18C1

Shop 1:
$3600-$4000 to fully build the block and head.
Port and Polished, Forged Pistons, Rods, Sleeves.. Cam shaft, springs, and valves.. etc. Basically the guy told me they'll make my whole engine brand new ready for boost, replacing all gaskets with better bolts and screws. He told me I will be able to do 350-400whp

$2500 for the block and around $800 for the head. $3000 for turbo and tuning. Total around $6000

Shop 2: Outside friend's shop
$2200-$2500 to build the block
Basically setting up my block for boost. I'm going to this shop again tomorrow to see some of their built cars. The shop did the exact same job I want for another GSR. For $5500 they'll do the block, and installing and tuning a turbo kit. Injectors, fuel pump and everything. Numbers they gave me were anywhere around 350whp

Shop 3: My team's shop
$2700
Fully build the block, includes boring it, polish, bigger pistons, sleeved, better crank etc. Ready for turbo too.

So far I got $3100 saved up for this. Are these some good prices?

P.S. My engine has 150K miles. I'm planning to drop $8K by the end of this year on the car. I'm also still new to most of this, the most I've ever tuned my car in the past was with air intakes, but now I want to try and push my car further.
Well you certainly are looking to drop some major dough on this engine. I assume you dont have the means of doing the labor yourself, outside of the machine work? You dont have a garage to assemble the motor to save some money?

You can make some power on a stock motor. You can take the sleeves up to 300HP IIRC. Then again, thats on a healthy motor. I dont know where yours sits.

You do not need to bore the block out. Boring it out will net some more torque, but not necessary.

You dont need to replace the Crank. Who told you this? I think you need to find some one who knows about Honda engines. Getting a "better crank" means you are getting one custom cut. The only reason why you would need this would be if you are going for custom rods that have require a different stroke.

I think 2200-2500 would be reasonable for building the motor.
Let me roughly "estimate" the price with new parts

Block: parts
Forged Pistons- 450
Forged Rods- 350
Sleeves - 700?
Bearings - 100
Block: Machine work
Hot-tank and Deck- 70
Crankshaft- mag and polish - 80
Bore out the current sleeves (so the new sleeves can be installed) - ?80?
Install the pistons on the rods (aftermarket pins should slide, unlike OEM where the pin needs to be pressed in) - inexpensive
= 450+350+700+100+70+80
=1740
Im sure theres more, but you get the gist of it.

Labor associated with the work - $70/hour?
Maybe $500 because of the dissassembly and reassembly
= 2200
Cylinder Head:
There really isnt much you need to do to the head, but more aggressive cams will enable you to unlock more power out of the engine. We'll venture into this anyways.

Parts:
Camshafts - 450
Cam gears - 100
Valvetrain (springs, retainers, valves) - 350
= 3000
Machine work:
Hot tank and resurface - ~100
Maybe check it for cracks (not sure what the right terminology for this is)
Valve Job - 150+
Port and Polish - ask your engine shop, these may be $300, but I dont have experience with it.

Again, labor. Maybe $300 with the time needed to take the head apart/put it together.
= 3700

This is all speculative. I dont know what parts you are getting put in, and what the charge shops for each item. If you are really contemplating getting work done, get an itemized list of everything that would get done. Ball park estimated dont cut it when you are spending this amout of money. (My price figures all add from one section to another, with the total being in the end, and does not include other items that should be replaced/serviced i.e. timing belt, gaskets, water pump, oil pump, etc)
i hope you have a built shell/suspension/brakes to compensate for your hardcore motor.
Built shell? Whats that?
Suspension? Whats wrong with the stock suspension?
Brakes? All he needs are some fresh pads. There is nothing wrong with the integra brakes.
What would be important is that he has a strong clutch, and his maintenance is up to date.

I was thinking the same thing ha-ha. wth?

But anyway, the B18C1 engine is a good engine to turbo. Have you ever thought of Supercharging rather than Turbo? You can get great HP gain with a supercharger and not have to re-build your engine. So, you'll save alot of money. Also, with a supercharger your power will be constant from low-end to high-end. I know you can get a turbo set-up so your Turbo power is pretty much constant as well, but again it costs alot of money.

But if your set on a Turbo, then try for a T70. It will be more money, but you'll be happier in the long run.

As for your Price Quotes...they're all pretty good pricing. Just make sure the people you let do the set-up are people you can trust.

**let us know how it turns out because I'm still up in the air on which set up I should do: Turbo or Supercharge8)
You are also limited in the amount of power you can make with a supercharger.

choyoyoing

How you like my v-tec?
Built shell? Whats that?
Suspension? Whats wrong with the stock suspension?
Brakes? All he needs are some fresh pads. There is nothing wrong with the integra brakes.
What would be important is that he has a strong clutch, and his maintenance is up to date.
I know that Integra's brakes are great, along with the suspension, but if he's getting hp gains that I'm thinking of...I'm assuming he's going to reach speeds that's not made for that suspension. The brakes are fine because it has ABS, but it was the suspension i was referring to. I'm not saying it's primary, but it is something you should look into if you change the power of your car. :)

You are also limited in the amount of power you can make with a supercharger.
True! But that's what I've been pondering over...should I go with a SC and have constant power for less money, but limited on the amount gained.....or go with a Turbo which will cost a lot more money & time, but my gains will be substantial.

I think I just made up my mind.....thanks mirrorimg 8)