96 ls won't start

drock615

my 96 ls won't start. honestly it been sitting for a little over a year and I tried to jump it but i'm not getting anything except a cranking noise like it wants to start. any ideas, please help.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
check for spark,
check for fuel

is it manual? Does the battery take a charge?
did an animal get into the wires and eat them?

lots of factors here that can cause a car not to start...

drock615

manual transmission. i wasn't really getting a spark when I would move the jumper cables. I'm not sure about how much fuel I have, i had about a quarter of a tank last I drove the car the gauge is right above the E sign.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
check if its spark or fuel, then go from there, if spark, check the distributer first, if fuel, check fuel filter and fuel pump

drock615

it could just be a dead battery, cause when I had had it hooked up to my other car the red light on the radio was blinking, now it doesn't blink when it's not hooked up with jumper cables.

Last edited:

avan

there are a number of factors that could cause this problem. Here is the rule of threes.
car staring problems can be trace to :

1) fuel
2) fire
3) air

Check first for fire . Pull one of your spark plugwire, put a good plug at the end hold it with a rubber handle pliers/wrench . Put it close up to a metallic part of your engine block and have a friend crank the engine. It there is sparks then you are fine if not your problem is fire.

the basic test for fuel is to listen to your pump priming when you turn your key to on position. You should here a pump priming sound. If not then it may be your pump or your relay or fuses ect.

It you dont have any spark my best bet is your ignition coil is shot. Provided that you have ruled out some basic problems such as fuses and battery issues already. Good luck