97 brake light in wing no working

JohnCarter

My wing brake light wont come on. I took the light off and the wire is connected. Can't tell much by looking in the trunk, but the wires for the inside 3rd brake light have been taped over and the bulb socket is not present. I'm wondering if there's a fuse that might be the next place to look. Help appreciated.

mjones73

I would assume someone took the bulb out of the glass mounted light then ran the wiring from the wing to the glass mount to connect to. Following the wiring in and double check the connections where they are taped up.

Check the fuses too, though I think a short may take out all of the brake lights, not sure if the third is fused separately.

JohnCarter

The other brake lights work fine. I think the wing is stock/original. Would the fuse be under the dash? Thanks.

JohnCarter

I put a big mirror on the floor and looked at all the fuses. There isn't one for just the 3rd brake light alone and everything else works. I could use a wiring diagram for the 3rd light.
Thanks.

mjones73

How about a picture of the wing so we can ID it since it doesn't sound original.

Did you find any wires coming out of it and if so, where are they going?

Did you check to see if they are rigged into the original 3rd brake light like I suggested?

JohnCarter

Still trying to hash this out. I'll try to do some checking with a VOM when I get a chance.