99 gsr fuel gauge problems

the4doorway

so my gas gauge in my 99 gsr sedan has been broken for a couple months now so i figured why not try to fix it. i have started some trial and error with the gauge itself and im 75% sure that the problem is the fuel gauge sending unit on my fuel tank. if anyone has replaced this before advice and pointers are GREATLY appreciated when replacing it. i also planned on replacing the fuel pump while my gas tank is on the ground. better to be safe then sorry right? i will also try to post pictures of the replacement job or make another thread will findout after i get the part and the time.

mjones73

I would assume like the 2 doors, the 4 door has an access panel under the rear seat or trunk carpet that you can access the sending unit and pump without dropping the tank.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Isn't the sending unit part of that fuel pump? Or is that just with some cars. Before you go dropping the tank, check for corrosion at the connectors before the fuel pump, that could cause erratic behavior.
- Aaron

mjones73

Well the fuel pump and sending unit are all one assembly when you pull them from the tank, it comes apart once it's out though.

the4doorway

yea and i have to order the sending unit online somewhere i checked the wiring to the cluster gauge and its good so it may be the wiring at the gas tank. tomorrow i will be checking for the access panel and post any link i find to help others. correct me if im wrong but isnt the fuel pump on the top of the gas tank where you would have to drop it to get to it anyhow...

milanoteg

Depending on the model, some have two separate access ports with the sending unit located on the top port and the pump inside the lower port.