99 GSR Project - advice please!

MSP611

do any of u guys know much about turbo modding? becuz from the parts lists u r listing looks like u read a whole bunch of magazines... as for the op here r my suggestions.
1. turbo- (depending on ur power u want to make) I personally like Borg warner turbos so an sx200-85 or 300sx should be able to make tht power pretty easily. yet ur tuning solution should be ur first worry. who's tuning ur car? dyno tune or street tune? what kind of fuel r u gunna run? meth injection? how much do u want to spend in total?
2. exhaust- honestly a custom 3in dp is what I run and have run on all my turbo'd vehicles... eBay downpipes with vband connections work well as well... then just go have urself some piping fabbed up for the rest of ur exhaust by a shop.
3. manifold- depending on ur goals for the car... I would still run a log type manifold... steedspeed makes great twinscroll log type manis but they aren't cheap. or check out fullrace see if u can get a tubular mani from them... but memeber tubular manis r weaker so make sure if ur goin big turbo tht u have a mount/bracket setup chosen becuz u will crack ur tubular mani quick if u don't...
4. wastegate- personally I'd run an external WGA... less hassle and just have the screamer pipe welded into ur dp.
5. boost control- I'd run a new style EBCS maybe a perrin or grimmspeed...
6. internals- they are really subjective tp the builder everyone was their own preferences... in personally like k1 or eagle for my rods and wiseco for my pistons... at this point r u gunna build the head?
7. intercooler- u can piece together ur own intercooler kit for way cheaper than u can buy any of these name brand kits and save urself a lot money here. Treadstone makes good intercoolers or godspeed... u can get them omg eBay actually I think... then cxracing makes piping kits... at this point it matters the turbo ur running to choose what size piping ur gunna run...
8. crank vase venting- run an oil catch can in a venturi setup pretty simple.
9.maybe beefy axles???

now I have never turbo'd one of these cars but the process is pretty much always the same make sure u have urself protected before u just try to shoot for power.... any suggestions on what I listed would help but I think tht should get u thinkin and get u started.... hope u have a deep wallet, patience and a lot of tools. happy modding:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
do any of u guys know much about turbo modding? becuz from the parts lists u r listing looks like u read a whole bunch of magazines...
Cute. As a matter of fact yes, I have built my own turbo kit for my car. Sorry I like name brand parts and none of that "jdm" crap the fanboys like such as TurboXS and crap like that

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
I can't take that guy seriously.

His grammar, use of punctuation and failure to hit enter enough led me to stop reading about 2 sentences in.

And as I said in my first post, I know nothing about FI. I just know how to make a cool Honda.

MSP611

I just think its a waste money unless ur building a show car or something. really the name brand parts make no difference I've done tests with my own builds and couldn't see any difference. but If u have the money to blow then y not... don't skimp on the shit tht matters but u can in some simple areas

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
What tests? A name brand intake vs an egay intake with your butt dyno? Name brand parts cost more for a reason, R&D, quality of construction and design etc etc are all factored in. And I also don't think you know much about "turbo modding" yourself. Example, why would you suggest a log style manifold vs a tubular? They have next to NO benefit over a tubular.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Another example of cheap parts vs name brand, the ONE knock off part I put on my car ended up failing within 6 months of installation. However not a single one of my name brand parts has had a SINGLE issue

currinatc

Thank you guys for all of your info! Like I said, I'm new to this so learning is something I'm very interested in doing. When it comes to Cobra Mustangs, I know a good bit but nothing when it comes to these things.

What got me hooked on these cars... when I was shopping around to replace my S10 truck, I came across a 94 Integra that had a B20 swap with a T3/4 turbo kit from ebay and a GSR transmission. First turbo car I ever drove and it blew my mind how fast that little thing got going and how hard it pulled through every gear I hit. Unfortunately, the owner decided to show it off to much to me and popped a ring groove because he kept redlining a stock engine before he shifted with all that boost. When I picked up my GSR, I knew that B18C1 was a rare motor and wasn't just going to pop a turbo kit on it and think everything was going to be okay. I want to do this the RIGHT way. Money isn't an option right now because this is going to be a very long term project and if I have to save a couple months for one part, just so I know I'm getting the right one, I'll gladly do it! I'm not trying to be the fastest, meanest, thing on the street; I just want to be proud of what I put together.

I'll be driving this car on the street, never on the track. I'm still in the market for a tuner but that will be after I figure out what's causing my idling problem. I'm probably just going to take it to the local Acura dealer here in Greenville, SC and have them diagnose it without fixing it. Then I'll be looking for a tuner and hopefully getting them to guide me a little on what my limitations will be.

I'm basically wanting this car to run better than that B20 did and look good at the same time. I'm still wrestling with the idea of putting the Type R front end on it. It's a GSR and I feel I should leave it like that but those front ends look so good!

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I'm still doing my research before I start pulling the debit card out!

Last edited:

currinatc

Oh, and I'm most definitely putting it back it's original color! Is that called House of Blues? Or what is it actually called? I've been calling it Burple with more Blue haha. It's extremely rare to be on a GSR in 99 from what I've gathered so far.

currinatc

Yeah, JDM front but I don't like the idea of having to cut my radiator support off. This is a rare car and not really into butchering it. But then again, it's not for sale :)

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
There should be a sticker on your door sill with a number code on it that will tell you what color it is, I can;t really tell from the pics

currinatc

Probably going to hang on to that thing! I've had a couple of my friends already ask me about it. I think it makes the front end of the car look great.

MSP611

no by actually doin dyno test results with same circumstances or as close to them as possible... my buddy used to own a performance shop so it wasn't a big deal he let me use w.e In the shop...Ya u r right on the R&D but I mean how much R&D needs to go in a dp Ya know Wat Im sayin... for the single things there's not much a name brand can offer u over a random brand.

also I suggested the log type manifolds first becuz of price, second becuz Pfizer strength.... tubular manifolds r notorious for cracking mostly becuz people don't have the correct brackets or mounts to support the turbo's weight. which causes cracks with all tht causes headaches... tubular manifolds definitely flow better no argument there... I wasn't slashing any of ur building techniques just some friendly suggestions...

What tests? A name brand intake vs an egay intake with your butt dyno? Name brand parts cost more for a reason, R&D, quality of construction and design etc etc are all factored in. And I also don't think you know much about "turbo modding" yourself. Example, why would you suggest a log style manifold vs a tubular? They have next to NO benefit over a tubular.