99 ls motor into a 91 ls shell

Kidcudney

Ok so I've been looking on the forums for a few hours now and can't seem to find anything. If there is a post already please link me. Basically, I have a 99 Integra ls auto that I daily right now, and on Friday I am picking up a 91 ls manual shell, it has stock motor and tranny mounts, stock ecu, and axles. So I want to know what it will take to drop my motor into the 91 ls shell. I have a b16 cable tranny that i would be putting in with the b18b motor from my 99 ls. What wire harness would I need to use as well as what Ecu would I need? And any additional things i would need to get to perform this swap correctly. I want to do it over a weekend and want to make sure I have everything I need.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
conceivably you should be able to frankenstein it all together... only real difference between the b18a & b was the shape of the VC & the ODB version.. otherwise it will just drop right in... you should be able to use the existing cable clutch assembly fromthe DA shell to connect the B16 transmission also.

the 91 DA stock is an ODB0 car the b18B is known to be run in ODB1 or ODB2 configurations, so you want to determine what ODB you need ( I believe in a 99 you would be at ODB2 ) so make sure you grab youe ECU and swap it over as well... Yo will also need the ODB2 wiring harness, Intake manifold, & distributor... Lastly you need to swap over to the exhaust system and manifold for the DA series integra as the 99 exhaust system is routed differently.

Please note this info is based on my knowledge of the DA integra & some is speculation on what I have read from others who have done these tyes of swap into a DA combined with generally solid mechanical knowledge :) and overll familiarity of honda cars in general. others may have more to contribute, but overall swapping a b seried integra motor is straightforward process.

GonzoDA9

Very easy, although, I have run into a few problem, but I am close, the car turns on and runs I believe all I need is a couple of gaskets and maybe a new manifold, the motor is shaking way too much and is running kinda weird, but what I did is use obd0 distributor, ecu, and harness, but you will need an extra harness to cut into so you can extend some plugs to iacv and oil pressure sensor, and you will have to take some sensors from the back of the b18a1 block, look up a photo of both blocks, and you will see what I am referring to by additional sensor needed to be swapped over. Also used obd2 intake manifold, but I believe it works better than obd0, not as much hoses, but all of this is what I have done, I also couldn't get my car to turn on by key, so I turn the key to on so fuel pump is on and use my starter switch and it turns right on, I had no hope because the icu was shorted so nothing worked Lol, but it's possible so if you need anymore help pm me I will try to help best I can. Or u can continue posting on here I will most likely stumble back on the thread

Kidcudney

Well I can't use the obd2 ecu from my 99 because it's an auto ecu and i'm going 5 speed. So I'm thinking i'll need to get an Ecu. And i don't see a problem with dropping the b18b into the car, but i don't know how i'm going to connect the obd2 motor harness into the 0bd0 interior harness. So would I have to convert to obd1 motor and use a jumper harness?

djzachtyler

Rywire makes conversion harnesses, or you could have a cut and splice bonanza LOL...

would probably be cheapest to just get a ECU from a manual teg and be done with it.

Kidcudney

Ok so here's what i've come up with from talking to a good friend of mine. Please tell me if this sounds right. If i drop my b18b motor with a b16 cable transmission into my 91 ls, and i put an obd0 distributor, obd0 injectors, and an obd0 oxygen sensor onto the motor. Then I should be able to use the original obd0 engine harness on my b18b and use the pr4 computer that is the stock obd0 ls computer. and everything should run fine correct?

Kidcudney

oh and i'd have to change the driver side motor mount

sportsma1539

Ok so here's what i've come up with from talking to a good friend of mine. Please tell me if this sounds right. If i drop my b18b motor with a b16 cable transmission into my 91 ls, and i put an obd0 distributor, obd0 injectors, and an obd0 oxygen sensor onto the motor. Then I should be able to use the original obd0 engine harness on my b18b and use the pr4 computer that is the stock obd0 ls computer. and everything should run fine correct?
This is exactly what I was going to tell you to do. You'll want to swap the entire intake manifold and I have an obd0 intake manifold with fuel rail, injectors, throttle body, iacv, fitv etc... if you want it, make an offer. I had an obd0 distributor too but I gotta find it.

On the swap, you'll need the drivers side motor mount bracket. The one from your 99 engine will not bolt up to the 90 motor mount. You'll need the thermostat housing since you're swapping intake manifolds. Also I think you'll need an obd0 wiring harness.

Kidcudney

This is exactly what I was going to tell you to do. You'll want to swap the entire intake manifold and I have an obd0 intake manifold with fuel rail, injectors, throttle body, iacv, fitv etc... if you want it, make an offer. I had an obd0 distributor too but I gotta find it.

On the swap, you'll need the drivers side motor mount bracket. The one from your 99 engine will not bolt up to the 90 motor mount. You'll need the thermostat housing since you're swapping intake manifolds. Also I think you'll need an obd0 wiring harness.
I have the obd0 harness and computer already. And i have the 91 mount too. But my buddy said I should be alright with my b18b obd2 intake manifold, but I keep reading that I will need to swap it, Can you tell me why that is? I should just have to lengthen like 2 wires or something

Kidcudney

Either way, Thank you so much for the info sport. I'm nervous about the swap because it's my daily and i'll only have saturday and sunday next week to do it. But I'm glad that i'm on the right path.

sportsma1539

Im not exactly sure on why but it may have something to do with the plugs on the obd0 harness not working with the obd2 manifold. Do you have an obd0 distributor yet? Now I'm talking about the engine bracket with the stud sticking up out of it that bolts to the motor mount, not the actual motor mount itself. Just wanted to clear that up.

This may not be the exact one, but it looks similiar.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=330929931390

Last edited:

djzachtyler

you want the IM from an ODB0 car...

Also the thermostat housing is important too as the 90-91 are just a housing... the 92-93 has a ground on it.