A Novice's guide to AutoX

konerri

Well, I been asked many times for AutoX setup recommendations. I am not the best person out there but iI have done some AutoX events and i guest i am the most experienced on this forum board.

Background: I've driven a '99 integra(STS class, full PIC suspension, Type R front and rear sway bars) in 2007. Then drove '01 S2000 in A-Stock during two events in 2008. Didn't really get serious about AutoX until 2009 when really felt the need to get some real driving experience that wasn't illegal. The only car i had was my beater, the '08 Civic LX 5 speed manual. In my first official year of serious competition, I managed to do very well with my stock '08 LX Civic. At my third event, I managed to Advance out of Novice class. At the end for my first season, one of the local drivers invited me to Co-Drive with him during the 2010 National Events.

Car Setup: I have SI shocks and 16 inch SSR wheels. My exhaust system has no muffler. All these are legal mods in my Stock class. Tire choice and size is unlimited. I choose to go with a set of 205/40/16 Falken RT-615 because i knew i was a Novice and shouldn't invest in very good tires just yet. My class allows for racing slicks.

At each event, I am always put to a new challenge: Getting cold tires up to proper tire temperature/using water to cool down your tires to where it grips best, Throttle positioning during aggressive cornering(most of the time: Less = so much more), Tire pressures, A car can do things that you'll never think it can do(like spinning out a stock Civic on High Performance Street Tires) at only 45 MPH, Weight transfers/Body roll, Braking(not just when but how), learning how to memorize the coarse so that only your first lap seems like your 5th lap, a lot more things that Gran Turismo can't teach you.

Don't get me wrong, Gran Turismo is still my favorite game. These new skills i learned also prove worthy in Gran Turismo. I gone back and broken all the records i have set on my favorite circuits. Not to brag or anything, but i think it was during the spring of 2009, i started doing time attacks on GT5 using the logitech steering wheel. I practiced for 3 weeks straight to be ranked 14th in the world driving the Amuse S2000 at Suzuka with professional physics and a manual transmission. Settings are Amuse Stock because you can not change them. From these three weeks of GT5, it taught me that "fast is smooth and smooth is FAST". Anyways, things are always better in real life.

Here is a MUST READ for anyone wanting to do very well in autoX. I just discovered it about a month ago but i wish i read this two years. I had to learn most of these things the hard way.

It covers everything a novice needs to know, but still keeps it very simple. She can explain everything much better then I can.

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm#novice

"The key is first fix the driver then fixing the car"

I didn't understand nor appreciate this statement until about half way through my season.

Hope everyone enjoys....

Last edited: