a proper technique??

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
If I don't have to stop, I just put it in neutral, roll threw the turn, and then shift into either 2nd or 3rd depending on how fast I'm going :D
That is the worst and most dangerous thing you could possibly do if you're in a performance driving situation.

To the OP, It's all about rev-matching and heel-toe. Youtube both of those techniques, go try them AT A SAFE SPEED, hang out with track/touge drivers to get tips, go try it on the track or touge (but don't go past your limits).

Honestly this sounds kinda lame, but once you've gotten the basic concept of heel-toe and rev-matching you can practice it while DDing. Most people on the street can't tell the difference and it's great practice since you're moving a lot slower in a DD situation than track or touge.

Last edited:

heykosal

Angkorian
Honestly, in a car like ours where the pedals are perfectly oriented for heel/toeing, its easy to learn and do. I drove my friends 1.8t jetta, and the pedal arrangement is so stupid it's close to impossible to heel/toe smoothly.

This topic has been beat to death.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
That is the worst and most dangerous thing you could possibly do if you're in a performance driving situation.

To the OP, It's all about rev-matching and heel-toe. Youtube both of those techniques, go try them AT A SAFE SPEED, hang out with track/touge drivers to get tips, go try it on the track or touge (but don't go past your limits).

Honestly this sounds kinda lame, but once you've gotten the basic concept of heel-toe and rev-matching you can practice it while DDing. Most people on the street can't tell the difference and it's great practice since you're moving a lot slower in a DD situation than track or touge.
Rev matching = heel-and-toe downshifting

Either heel-and-toe or double-clutching.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
You can do it by blipping the throttle. It's the same thing as the heel-toe method you're just not braking.

Double clutching is: disengage clutch, pull out of current gear, engage clutch in neutral, disengage clutch, put in gear engage clutch

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
You can do it by blipping the throttle. It's the same thing as the heel-toe method you're just not braking.

Double clutching is: disengage clutch, pull out of current gear, engage clutch in neutral, disengage clutch, put in gear engage clutch
ooooh i always got confused and thought what i mentioned above was rev matching. or rather what i did was a specific technique called rev matching

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Not too many guys I know use the double-clutch technique anymore. Heel-and-toe is more common nowadays. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes automatic.

heykosal

Angkorian

What's the difference between double clutching and double declutching? Is it the same? I've heard both.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
I heel-toe when coming up to a relatively higher speed corner, not a corner that involves going lower than maybe 2nd or 3rd gear.

maq

JuniorDA[LS];492894 said:
......i turned i applied tha brake pedal and when i was exciting tha turn i shifted into second and continued driving. ......
You should do all your braking before the turn. If your use your brakes in the turn your car will not be as stable and you will not have as much braking force. It can take some practice but you will be a better driver this way. I learned this from racing cross country on ATVs. Friend of mine had a 5 mile track and i cut off about 30 seconds from my lap times from gritting my teeth and not braking in the turns.

Rev matching is the best thing like the others have said. I'm so used to it now i know exactly how many RPMs i need if i have to down-shift. Most of the time you can't even tell it's a manual car.

Practice makes perfect :thumbs up

heykosal

Angkorian
You should do all your braking before the turn. If your use your brakes in the turn your car will not be as stable and you will not have as much braking force. It can take some practice but you will be a better driver this way. I learned this from racing cross country on ATVs. Friend of mine had a 5 mile track and i cut off about 30 seconds from my lap times from gritting my teeth and not braking in the turns.

Rev matching is the best thing like the others have said. I'm so used to it now i know exactly how many RPMs i need if i have to down-shift. Most of the time you can't even tell it's a manual car.

Practice makes perfect :thumbs up
A lot of times I'll brake going into the corner..it's called trail-braking. It's a good technique to learn for FF cars, also left-foot braking.

maq

A lot of times I'll brake going into the corner..it's called trail-braking. It's a good technique to learn for FF cars, also left-foot braking.
Right. I guess what i should of said was do 80% of your braking before turning the wheel.