A question about turbos

djrajir

I bought my 3rd Gen RS about 4 months ago and I am about ready to start working on its performance. Thing is I am just a GS Tech at a local Auto Repair shop and my knowledge is limited and my money is even more limited. So I will have to buy my parts bit by bit and then build it up.

Now my question is, my neighbor has a Master power turbo he says its a t76 but after looking at the numbers I think its just a t70. Anyway it says on in Master power a/r .70 NB012. He is gonna give it to me for doing some work on his truck for him. I need to know if I should use it on my car or sell it. If I can use it advice on other parts and setups I need would be helpful.

Thanks in advanced, and pls don't flame me I know I am a noob, but hey everyone has to start somewhere right!?

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
throw some pictures up of it. Check for shaft play, and do you know the history of the turbo?

djrajir

I'll get some pics up in the morning. There didn't seem to be any play. As for the history all I know is it used to be on a GTO. He says he only took it off cause he didn't want to sell the gto with it all hooked up.

mjones73

It's too big for a 4 cylinder unless it's built up to handle a lot of power. Sell it and buy the right size turbo for your goals..

The FAQs in this section list a lot of good details on boosting your motor also.

French-Frye

T3/T4 Turbos are the first choice of alot of DIY turbo kit builders. its cheap enough to be affordable and if you sell the turbo your getting you could probably buy one of them and some other parts for your kit. Unless your BUILDING your motor your only going to be able to push about 10psi on the t3/t4 on a stock bottom end and some mild "Flow" work to the top end so the turbo can get good air flow and youll get about 300whp with a good tune. But thats the kicker a good tune so make sure you save up enough to do your mods and afford a tune or else all your work will go right down the pooper lol but there are alot of smart guys on here that can help with ANY questions. Good Luck bro! :thumbs up

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
T3/T4 Turbos are the first choice of alot of DIY turbo kit builders. its cheap enough to be affordable and if you sell the turbo your getting you could probably buy one of them and some other parts for your kit. Unless your BUILDING your motor your only going to be able to push about 10psi on the t3/t4 on a stock bottom end and some mild "Flow" work to the top end so the turbo can get good air flow and youll get about 300whp with a good tune. But thats the kicker a good tune so make sure you save up enough to do your mods and afford a tune or else all your work will go right down the pooper lol but there are alot of smart guys on here that can help with ANY questions. Good Luck bro! :thumbs up
sorry to nitpick but alot of what you said is untrue.

T3/T4 turbochargers can range from extremely cheap used to almost $2,000 brand new. T3T4 only describes the housing and nothing else. It is way to broad to refer to turbos as T3/T4, 57/60 trim etc.

And again, PSI is absolutely meaningless to talk about. There are local guys here on stock bottom ends making big power well beyond your "10psi". A local guy on the forum makes 372whp on 17psi using a precision jb6262, stock bottom end. stock head.

The turbo will get good air flow with a stock head. With a built head, you will only make things better. But a built head is not necessary at all.

Just correcting you.

redrocket

T3/T4 turbochargers can range from extremely cheap used to almost $2,000 brand new. T3T4 only describes the housing and nothing else. It is way to broad to refer to turbos as T3/T4, 57/60 trim etc.

And again, PSI is absolutely meaningless to talk about. There are local guys here on stock bottom ends making big power well beyond your "10psi". A local guy on the forum makes 372whp on 17psi using a precision jb6262, stock bottom end. stock head.

The turbo will get good air flow with a stock head. With a built head, you will only make things better. But a built head is not necessary at all.

Just correcting you.
Interesting, I think I made 373/300 on 12PSI W/ Garrett T3/To4E .57T .63A/R. My motor is built to hell and back though:p

French-Frye

Just correcting you.
but nothin i said was wrong? yes they can be cheap and yes its broad but its a common thing to say. it wasnt wrong just not specific enough for you. and psi isnt meaningless at all because if you say that people think their car can push high psi and be ok. if he doesnt want to build it but to be more reliable a lower psi, right turbo, and good flow will bring down the risk of him blowing the motor up. no its not necessary but it wouldnt be a dumb thing to do either. Psi isnt meaningless to talk about at all. how could someone WITH a turbo say that psi doesnt mean anything? listen im not going to argue with you but to be honest what were both saying isnt really that different.

Last edited:

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
but nothin i said was wrong?
what you said isnt true = youre wrong.

yes they can be cheap and yes its broad but its a common thing to say. it wasnt wrong just not specific enough for you.
not specific at all, all youre doing is leading people down the wrong path of word references and beliefs

and psi isnt meaningless at all because if you say that people think their car can push high psi and be ok.
we speaking english here? lets be a little more specific and elaborate on what kind of point youre trying to make.

if he doesnt want to build it but to be more reliable a lower psi, right turbo, and good flow will bring down the risk of him blowing the motor up. no its not necessary but it wouldnt be a dumb thing to do either.
this is agreeable

Psi isnt meaningless to talk about at all. how could someone WITH a turbo say that psi doesnt mean anything? listen im not going to argue with you but to be honest what were both saying isnt really that different.

PSI doesnt mean anything because PSI isnt universal. You have to understand you cannot base anything by psi. You have to go by power. Pressure doesnt kill motors. Power and torque does. remember that.

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
JB= Journal Bearing

There are two versions

DBB = Dual Ball Bearing

What other company makes a turbo called the "6262"???

I figured that wouldve been a given..

hidenplanvew

PT6262 is the actuall name you put JB or BB after... BUt a PT6268 are awsome and spool quick

Last edited:

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
Everything AlexD said is right, just remember OP

GET A GOOD TUNE!

I cannot stress enough on that subject, don't just slap a turbo and there with a s***ty tune or no tune. This will usually cost a pretty penny so make sure to be prepared and avoid "piggyback" systems. A proper dyno tune will ensure your motor will last. And like Alex said, it doesnt matter how much psi you push, its how much power you make that will kill the motor which in your case is 300whp.

And another thing, try to avoid cheap ebay turbo products such as turbos, wastegates, bov's, and turbo manifolds. They will fall apart a fail which could cause a lot of damage. The only ebay product i would buy to save $ would be the intercooler, piping, oil drain & feed lines, couplers, etc. Stick to name brand things.

Last edited:

French-Frye

what you said isnt true = youre wrong.

not specific at all, all youre doing is leading people down the wrong path of word references and beliefs

we speaking english here? lets be a little more specific and elaborate on what kind of point youre trying to make.

this is agreeable

PSI doesnt mean anything because PSI isnt universal. You have to understand you cannot base anything by psi. You have to go by power. Pressure doesnt kill motors. Power and torque does. remember that.
Ok so i talked to my friend at INMW and they said that what i said was misleading. i apologize and realize what i said was wrong and ill give you positive rep for correcting my mistakes. again I apologize.