A Wild Chirp Appears.

drevans_satx

Dylan
So on my leisurely drive to work last night my car began making a 'chirping' noise upon deceleration, only below 3500 rpms.
The best I can describe it is when your serpentine belt tensioner goes out on a domestic motor. I know for sure its not a belt squeal so I'm asking for some ideas and fixes possibly. The sound is definitely coming from the driver side of the engine bay.

So far all I can think of is:
Timing belt tensioner
Alternator pulley bearing
Power steering pulley bearing

I don't have a belt on my a/c compressor right now so that's out.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I bet it's one of your pulleys like you stated before. I had an odd chirpish kind of noise and the tensioner pully on the A/C belt went bad. It made a whining/grinding/chirping/poop sound. Easiest would be to undo your power steering belt and see if that fixes it. Also the bearings in the alternator will chirp/squeal when they go bad, sometimes due to rust (happened to a friends pick'em-up truck)

drevans_satx

Dylan
Well yesterday it started a grinding/whoop whoop sound. Today I'm gonna warm it up and then take the alternator belt off of it and drive it down the road. And see of it stops. If it is the alternator I'm gonna try and disassemble and reassemble with new bearing seeing as the alt is still charging perfectly.

If I'm looking at a t-belt tensioner replacement then my car is going for surgery. I'm gonna send in the motor mounts to hasport for replacement and drop in my new cams along with the typical 100k mile work just because its already apart.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Update: can no longer get the chirp to come back at idle. Still going strong on deceleration.

The whoop whoop sound is like fan blades hitting their housing. Does the alternator have any fan inside it? I can't pinpoint the noise. It comes from the intake side, exhaust side, and t belt side.

I feel like its stronger from the exhaust ports though.

drevans_satx

Dylan
It wasn't the alternator. Took of the belt and the chirp was still there along with that sound in the video. Gonna take up PS belt and see if its maybe the idler pulley.

If that's not it...then I gotta wait for paychecks to come through and I'll be tearing the bitch down.

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
Damn, I thought this was a pokemon-related post. Damn it all.

Good luck pinpointing that chirp.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Removed the PS belt and drove it. Still chirped. This proves my original diagnoses of the tensioner pulley.

In the next week I'm ordering a mass of parts for a full on 100k maintenance as well as dropping in new cams and retuning.