About my B18A2 problems..

Antx

Hello..
If you help me, I'll be grateful, first of all..
My car is a '91 DB1 Integra.

My motor is not B18A1, but B18A2 - probably sold only in Europe or Middle-East, rated at 140hp.

The car has a Garret Airesearch T3 .48 Turbo. After a little research, I figured-out that this turbo is the standard turbo of an Iveco Truck. By the way, The motor is newly built and it's at 3000 miles.

The car has a custom manifold, 400cc injectors, a fuel-pressure-regulator, a small intercooler, ext. wastegate, a dirty air filter.

Working at a maximum boost of 0.7 bar, the car gives 217 hp at the dyno.

My problems are..

1. The NGK sparks are already old and they are very dark. I guess this is because of A/F ratio is too rich. I want to change the sparks. What brand and model of sparks should I buy ?

2. Can I reduce the fuel amount via fuel pressure regulator to find a better A/F ratio ? Do I need the AEM A/F ratio gauge for sure %100 ?? It's a bit expensive :)

3. What kind/brand air filter do you recommend for this motor ?

4. I'm replacing all my air piping with silicon hoses. Is 63mm (2.5") diameter is enough for all the turbo, intake and intercooler pipes ? The turbo Inlet is 2.5".

Thank you very much...

Thank you very much for your care.

newkid

stay with the ngk in my opinion. it says gap them at .40. but with my car i had to close them to .23

i have a 92 b18a1 boosted runin 5 psi. with the ngk plugs. with them gaped at .40 lik they say the car started to stuter when i got to a high rpm.(4500 rpms)
air filter i would go with the dry k an n filter. they bout 50 bucks. or u could go the cheap way and by the aap brand.lol
y r u going to get rid of the metal piping and replace it with rubber. it might not look so good
ps i want ur bov.:)

Antx

sorry by the way... 0.7 bar = 10 psi

about piping : I will not touch the aluminum piping to the intake, but the rest is all standard rubber from/to intercooler.

come on.. this bov is I don't know from where - but probably from the suburbs of China...

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
You need to get the car tuned so it's not running rich. You can't just put a bunch of fuel system upgrades on a car and call it good. And you never want to increase fuel pressure from stock. You can't tune with fuel pressure because it affects the entire RPM range.

Look up what gap you need for boosted applications. Just use cheap NGK plugs.

Use an AEM dry flow air filter. Measure the diameter of your pipe.

You don't need an A/F gauge if you can't tune and you don't know how to interpret it.

Antx

suspendedHatch :
Thanx.

The car had been tuned before I bought it when fuel systems were on.
The previous owner "thought" that he needs more fuel so he increased the fuel pressure.

It was bad idea, as you know..

I don't know how much he increased it. I want to take it back to the state when it was tuned.
That's why maybe I need an a/F ratio gauge.. do I ?

The tuner is from another city(like other tuners) and I can't just call him to tune my car. There's no tuner in my city.

My ecu is OBD-1 by the way. Is there an easy way to tune my car ?

Actually, I'm a software engineer and I'm just into the car stuff, the problem is, I don't know where to start from, what should I read and study to tune the car.. (or cars)

Can anyone show a path ?

mirrorimg

To tune the car, you need more than a A/F gauge. That will show you what your A/F ratio is, but you need to change the fuel/timing maps on the ECU, not with an FPR. A wideband A/F gauge would be a good investment if you plan on tuning yourself.

There are some articles on team-integra.net covering ECTune, Crome, and I believe another program used for tuning ECU's. You would need to buy some tuning equipment to collect the data and burn it to the ECU. You can get this stuff from Moates.net. If you are really into the technical aspect, and can handle reading some electrical diagrams for the wiring/handle a soldering iron well, this shouldnt be a problem.

ECTune
CROME

Last edited: