About to buy 92 Integra

InfernalVortex

This car belonged to a friend. She's no mechanic, she's a typical woman. She doesnt want the car anymore because it's stranded her a bunch of times over the past 2 years. Most of the issues I ended up fixing, but the clutch pedal pad fell off, so it couldnt close the neutral safety switch circuit, the wheel bearing failed, the ignition module failed, the starter died, battery died, and the thermostat got stuck shut. May be some other stuff, but the point is that it's mostly trivial things that were easy to fix.

The car has 245k miles on it... it's old and used. But I really like the car, so she wants me to buy it from her and she wants $1500 for it.

It's pretty outside of my realm of familiarity, though. I have a 92 Camaro as my hot rod/toy/racecar. It's a pretty sweet ride but that's just my opinion. This Integra by comparison is very, VERY, VERY stock. It somehow survived the 1999-2005 era without modifications, and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. If I get it, it will become my daily driver (as I said, I have a backup, the Camaro, but it's a bit too absurd to drive every single day).

It's been repainted with some awful single stage paint and there's dents under the paint, so.... ? Obviously a super cheapo paint job. But it doesnt look awful right now. On the whole I think it's in fair condition. It's a 5-speed car, and it's a GS according to the vin. Im not really sure how accurate that is and Im not really sure what the difference between the GS and the other models is either. 245k miles. Completely stock except for, I think, a catback.

The only problems I see with the car is the CEL that comes on that I cant figure out how to pull codes from (I found the plug, shorting it together didnt do anything?) but it comes on as soon as the car reaches operating temp, so I imagine it's something to do with going into closed loop. Maybe O2 sensor? Emissions? Also there's a LOT of oil hanging out in the chambers where the spark plugs sit. How big of a deal is this? is this something that needs to be addressed ASAP or is it not a big deal? Doesnt burn much oil (I now think maybe it just leaks into the spark plug area, lol) and it leaks a little bit. but I expect that. The car drives nicely. Runs well. It even shifts into every gear very nicely. The shifter is super sloppy and it's hard ot tell when its in gear or in neutral. I can drive around that usually, though.

How long do the B18's last? Im hoping to get this thing to 300k miles if I buy it. What do you guys think?

Also, what do I need to do to get the ECM to give me the CEL codes? I found the plug and put a paperclip in it, and turned the key to the ON position, expected it to start flashing at me but nothing happened. Do I need to run the car until the code shows up first?

Last edited:

Twriddles

it could be an intermittent problem and thats why your not getting the codes, are you sure you have the right connector, it should be grey i think and only have two connections in the plug, there are a couple of plugs in that area so be sure you have the right plug

RS01

The oil in the plug chambers isn't a big deal and an easy one to fix. From what you have described, I wouldn't be afraid of it. Making it to 300K is doable so long as the timing belt is ok. The thermostat going bad may have caused it to get hot and a head gasket may be in your future. I would look at the rear bushings in the rear trailing arm to make sure they are not the next item to go.

InfernalVortex

I will check the rear bushings soon, then. That's good advice. I've been driving it and I like the car a lot.

CEL ended up being an EGR code, and this car doesn't and appears to have never had an EGR system on it. Which is really odd, but whatever. Old cars have all kinds of interesting stories.

I was worried when the thermostat failed because I didnt catch it overheating for a while. But it was probably 2 years ago now. At the time I assumed if the head gasket was gonna go, it would have gone then, but it's been fine. Runs cool and the oil looks good. I was hoping I was out of the woods there. It did run quite hot, though.

Maybe this will explain a little more, it belonged my ex-fiance and we lived together for 3 years, so I've been around the car for a long time. Even delivered pizzas in it for a little while, but it's been out of my hands for a while and it's now approaching 250k miles so...

Can I determine anything from visually inspecting the timing belt while replacing the valve cover gasket? That should give me an opportunity to address the seals around the spark plug chambers as well. I figure if the belt is new or old should be pretty immediately obvious, but maybe not.

Amiguel6

Inspect the belt for little cracks, rips, tears. Also make sure there is no oil leaking onto the belt from bad cam seals.

InfernalVortex

This car has a SUPER sloppy shifter, you can never tell if its in gear or not. It seems to work fine despite that, but it's one of those things I intended to take a look at.

I traced it back to some sort of u-joint right at the transmission. One side of the u-joint allows TONS of movement. It doesnt seem to be a bolt that goes through there...

Is this the infamous "b**** pin"?

Edit: I see I need to remove The Pin to get the u-joint off. It appears I have to buy a complete new shift linkage. Is there any first hand wisdom about parts choices here? Im having a really hard time finding a part that fits. Ebay is littered with them but they all say "B-series swap only!".... Not being familiar with Honda stuff... does that mean all B18 motors fit it? Or does "b-series only" refer to B18B-series?

Im guessing the exhaust has to come off, do I need to take apart the interior also, or can it all be done underneath the car? I HATE tearing apart 20 year old interiors... they NEVER go back together the same, but maybe the import stuff is a lot better about that than my domestics. 8)

Last edited:

CokeSlap

54201-SK7-902 Is the part number for that sucker and it is the rod change. I do believe you can do everything under the car. I would also take a look at your shifter bushings as well because they are probably toast too.