AC compressor turning on??

916ek

Is the ac compressor suppose to turn on even if i'm not using AC? My AC system is out of refrigerant so I never turn on the AC but I just noticed that my AC compressor still turn on everything when I'm driving it. Is that normal?

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
how are you certain that it is "on", do you see the clutch engaged and spinning?

mjones73

Look at the middle of the pulley with the motor running, if that part is standing still, it's not on. If the whole thing is turning the clutch is stuck on.

If you have no intention of fixing the AC anytime soon, you could always cut off the belt. You may want to remove the idler arm so it doesn't work loose and fall off on it'd own. There is one bolt you take out where it pivots on the AC bracket.

916ek

Yeah. I can see the ac compressor spinning while the engine is idling. So what can i do? cut off the ac belt?

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
to stop it from spinning yes, but that doesnt solve the actual problem, which could be a locked up ac clutch, or bad ac switch or relay

seahtech

Yes it is supposed to turn on even if you have not pushed the a/c button. The system is setup to run a self check and turn on occasionally. If your system is truely out of refrigerant the a/c pressure switch will sense that and shut it right back off. The a/c can also cycle when the defrost is turned on because that is what you truly need on to defrost the inside of a car.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
i have never, ever had my ac turn on randomly for a "self check"

mjones73

Yes it is supposed to turn on even if you have not pushed the a/c button. The system is setup to run a self check and turn on occasionally. If your system is truely out of refrigerant the a/c pressure switch will sense that and shut it right back off. The a/c can also cycle when the defrost is turned on because that is what you truly need on to defrost the inside of a car.
It does not self check nor will it come on with the defrost unless you have the AC button pushed in.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
It does not self check nor will it come on with the defrost unless you have the AC button pushed in.
thank you for reinforcing that lol i became concerned for a second because there is no computer control of my ac system, sounds more like someone has a faulty relay that clicks the ac on going over bumps for a "self check" lol

bodydragger

Check to see if your getting 12v to the compressor. If it is then you need to trace the reason for the compressor being supplied 12v when the AC is turned off. And an AC system doesn't perform a self test LMAO. You have to supply the compressor 12v in order for the armature to engage in the clutch.