Aftermarket exhaust questions

Afireinside

OK i'm thinking about running a header to test pipe then the factory cat back. My questions are will the factory cat back be to restrictive and a waste of money on the header and test pipe?
Also will it throw the check engine light? I want my car to be quiet so I really dont want a cat back system.
It's a 94 Ls so obd I.
Thanks

jznsn2u

OK i'm thinking about running a header to test pipe then the factory cat back. My questions are will the factory cat back be to restrictive and a waste of money on the header and test pipe?
Also will it throw the check engine light? I want my car to be quiet so I really dont want a cat back system.
It's a 94 Ls so obd I.
Thanks
I don't think you're going to be quite with a test pipe. Also stock catback piping diameter size is 2inches. I'm not sure how big the inlet size of the stock exhaust manifolds are but I doubt you'll get any "serious" power gains from a bottle-neck set up. Imo, it would be a waste of money to upgrade the exhaust manifold + delete cat and do nothing with the stock mid pipe and axle back.

If you want to be quite + somewhat power gains, fabricate your whole exhaust system so it doesn't bottle neck. (header,cat,midpipe,resonator,axleback-muffler) Make sure the piping doesn't exceed over 2.5 inches if your only upgrades are i/h/e. Add a resonator on your mid pipe (this is crucial to making your exhaust have a more silent tone, you could even add 2 resonators if you like silence :thumbs up). If you want you could get a high-flow cat or fabricate a test pipe, your call bro. I'm not sure if you have smog emissions testing in your state but in cali, cat's are necessary. (legally speaking)

I hope this helped you man. :thumbs up.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a test pipe with stock ls or gsr piping is a waste of time and money. a type r exhaust B pipe and axle back is a yes but its a little raspy

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
test pipe is made to replace the catalytic converter.

Afireinside

test pipe is made to replace the catalytic converter.
yeah i know what a test pipe is. I dont need to worry about emissions. I would like to keep a bolt in setup and not pay to have custom exhaust.I would really like a header and of course more power,if i'm doing the header then i should just do the test pipe as well?
My main concern is quiet,i hate the sound of "ricer" vehicles and also check engine lights. my resonator pipe is breaking down the seam so I could use some new exhaust.
Thanks everyone and keep the opinions coming.

jznsn2u

yeah i know what a test pipe is. I dont need to worry about emissions. I would like to keep a bolt in setup and not pay to have custom exhaust.I would really like a header and of course more power,if i'm doing the header then i should just do the test pipe as well?
My main concern is quiet,i hate the sound of "ricer" vehicles and also check engine lights. my resonator pipe is breaking down the seam so I could use some new exhaust.
Thanks everyone and keep the opinions coming.
Theres an o2 sensor for the cat, if you replace it with a test pipe then drill a hole for the o2 if you dont want cel's.

Youtube can help you picking an exhaust system for your car.

Runner ups for what you are looking for -> apexi ws2, rsr exmag(discontinued), n1 has a nice low tone, twinloop. click the link in my sig.

Theres an o2 sensor for the cat, if you replace it with a test pipe then drill a hole for the o2 if you dont want cel's.

Youtube can help you picking an exhaust system for your car.

Runner ups for what you are looking for -> apexi ws2, rsr exmag(discontinued), n1 has a nice low tone, twinloop. click the link in my sig.
I don't think obd1 has the secondary O2 sensor Jayson.

screbels

So 2.5 is the best exhuast size for our cars in terms of performance any bigger would be a waste??

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
you could always cut open the oem muffler and remove some of the baffling and reweld the piece you removed :thumbs up

screbels

If you're only going to have i/h/e, 2.25 or 2.36(itr/ws2) are really good.
By i/h/e u mean intake headers and exhuast right?? And maybe a engine re ruild u no pistons cams rods and stuff just to handle the power of later stuff

Dumpie1

Lower is better
Yup i/h/e/ are just abbreviations for intake, header, exhaust.

Most people here are just to lazy to right out the whole thing because we use them so often. 8)

Last edited: