Aftermarket strut suspension with Allen Wrench screw hole?

K3Ntegra

I bought a pair of Koni STR.T, and noticed that unlike the OEM ones in my vehicle, there is no Allen wrench hole for a Hex key, to aid in tightening or loosening, the strut mount.

I was going to return them, but the merchant, wants a 20% restocking fee, even if they're never used; 50% if they are used. It would seem wiser to not return them.

If anyone knows a list of medium to high quality struts that feature this screw, it would be appreciated. Just for the future.

94RS

No fucks given.
Why exactly is the screw needed? I have STR.T's on my car and they went in no problem :what:

Noneed2Hate

If it doesn't have it, then most likely it doesn't need it.... My koni yellows were the same. You should have 2 nuts included to go on top of each strut.

K3Ntegra

Why exactly is the screw needed? I have STR.T's on my car and they went in no problem :what:
If you needed to change the strut out for another one or another spring, how would you loosen the strut mount, without using power tools?

Vice grip, seems to be the only logical option; but could do some serious damage, if I wanted to re-use the strut.

Last edited:

94RS

No fucks given.
Assuming you've already got the OEM struts out... Spring compressors, deep socket for the top nut and lots of force.

94RS

No fucks given.
What kind of shitty spring compressors were you using? :lol:

Noneed2Hate

What kind of s***ty spring compressors were you using? :lol:
the difficult ones. lol for real though those things can get scary, especially when they slip a little and the spring juts out to one side almost about to pop out (violently)

Last edited:

K3Ntegra

What kind of s***ty spring compressors were you using? :lol:
The one's at my local Autozone, OEM 27036, couldn't fit through the stock coil spring, since its "teeth" is 20mm thick. The AutoZone clerk suggested and gave me this, and I returned it because video's on Youtube suggested, sticking through the middle, which was impossible on these struts.

Therefore you'd likely have to use one that doesn't come with safety locks. And yeah, I'd recommend having health insurance, if you're gonna undertake this.

The spring in this video is far different strut but still worth seeing.
https://youtu.be/UpSIv3mk98k?t=22m31s

It seems wise to stay away from Harbor Freight ones, and this as well.

I managed to remove the strut, and put it back in, due to the incompatible spring compressor similar to the OEM. Old front struts don't show major signs of performance degradation; I think I'll leave them in there a while longer.

Going back on topic, this video, suggested a pass through socket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5V2PRdZIlI

Last edited: