air filter question

Antx

a general question :

What if we use the standard OEM filterr instead of a K&N Performance filter on a 300 hp Turbo Integra ?

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
I'd say you wouldn't get the same volume of air. Assuming the K&N has a larger surface area than the regular filter it would take a little more of the engine's power on the intake stroke to receive a similar volume of air. I don't really know much about turbos, though. :/ My guess is there would be a slight amount of turbo lag.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Wait, i thought the stock filters were like rectangular and had to be in their little housing? are you gonna run piping to your stock air box?

Antx

I think this is the answer.. maybe there will be "more" turbo lag. Is there anyone to confirm this ?

I'd say you wouldn't get the same volume of air. Assuming the K&N has a larger surface area than the regular filter it would take a little more of the engine's power on the intake stroke to receive a similar volume of air. I don't really know much about turbos, though. :/ My guess is there would be a slight amount of turbo lag.

mirrorimg

i say go get a metal screen and clamp it to the intake side of your turbo
Wow. I hope no one does this.

This is effectively only good on cars you plan on continually rebuilding the engine on. I would not expect a motor to last long if its allowed to suck in all of the dust/dirt that comes into the engine compartment, and then the intake. Temporary fix if anything... to keep larger rocks out of there.