Air fuel ratio gauge

DustinXIX

just wondering if anyone knows how to hook these gauges up. i have an autometer sport-comp air/fuel ratio gauge, trying to install it in my 91 da. im pretty sure the red wire is power, black wire is negative but what is the purple wire for? what does that tap into? i tried searching and one site said to tap into my ecu and the other said O2 sensor and i just dont wanna mess anything up ya know.if anyone can link me to a write up on this or tell me what my purple wire goes to it would be much appreciated. thanks in advance for any and all help.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
just wondering if anyone knows how to hook these gauges up. i have an autometer sport-comp air/fuel ratio gauge, trying to install it in my 91 da. im pretty sure the red wire is power, black wire is negative but what is the purple wire for? what does that tap into? i tried searching and one site said to tap into my ecu and the other said O2 sensor and i just dont wanna mess anything up ya know.if anyone can link me to a write up on this or tell me what my purple wire goes to it would be much appreciated. thanks in advance for any and all help.
that gauge would be cosmetic when you hook it up, you need a wideband o2 sensor for it to read properly but the purple wire goes to white wire on your o2 sensor

mirrorimg

that gauge would be cosmetic when you hook it up, you need a wideband o2 sensor for it to read properly but the purple wire goes to white wire on your o2 sensor
Its a narrowband gauge. It will display the A/F ratio, but be fairly inaccurate (not nearly accurate enough to tune properly). It has a Rich, Optimal (lambda), and Lean ranges.

To the OP, tapping into the O2 sensor wire would probably be the same as tapping into the ECU (because you should be tapping into the O2 wire @ the ECU). It would make more sense and be easier to wire it into the pigtail that plugs into the ECU. You just need to figure out which wire it is.

JDMb20DC2

You plug the purple wire into the ECU and it reads it from the computer.

But unless you have a wideband it won't do nothing but bounce back n forth, trust me i had one for the hell of it just cause and it didn't help out any... but if you wanna hook it up you can. I think you hook it up to the purple wire on the ECU with the black striple BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD i don't remember what wire it is but there is a right up that i followed on Team-Integra that was correct.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
To the OP, tapping into the O2 sensor wire would probably be the same as tapping into the ECU (because you should be tapping into the O2 wire @ the ECU). It would make more sense and be easier to wire it into the pigtail that plugs into the ECU. You just need to figure out which wire it is.
lol thats why said the white wire on the o2, some people have trouble finding the pins on the ecu

DustinXIX

ok thanks for all the feedback.it is going to be mostly for cosmetic affect but i would like it to light up as it should lol
1.)can i purchase a wideband O2 sensor for my car?
2.)can anyone link me to a writeup or just tell me what wire it is on the ECU i should tap into?

mirrorimg

lol thats why said the white wire on the o2, some people have trouble finding the pins on the ecu
More information is better than less. That way your post reads sounds like you want him to tap into the sensor itself, outside of the vehicle. He then needs to run it inside the car to the gauge. Makes more sense to find the wire in the harness. Any person who has the capability to google a pinout and handle a soldering iron should be able to do it.

ok thanks for all the feedback.it is going to be mostly for cosmetic affect but i would like it to light up as it should lol
1.)can i purchase a wideband O2 sensor for my car?
2.)can anyone link me to a writeup or just tell me what wire it is on the ECU i should tap into?
You can get a wideband, but you would need to weld in a new O2 bung into the header. The Wideband's are about $200-$300, and are used for tuning the car to meet certain marks, and to keep an eye on the A/F ratio. If you dont plan on doing that, then it would be a large waste of money.

Last edited:

DustinXIX

I was just commenting on the "cosmetic" piece of your post, not on the fact that you did inform him of what to tap into.

You can get a wideband, but you would need to weld in a new O2 bung into the header. The Wideband's are about $200-$300, and are used for tuning the car to meet certain marks, and to keep an eye on the A/F ratio. If you dont plan on doing that, then it would be a large waste of money.
yeah im not even gonna bother with that then lol ill just hook it up the way it is now and call it a day :p after all i wont be using it for tuning or anything so its fine the way it is. thanks for all the help!!