Air random orbital sander. Color sanding

minaru

Hello club integra! I have a question that I couldn't find searching the forums or google. My question is how do I use an orbital sander correctly? I have 1000 grit and 1500 grit wet at the moment on my sander. How much pressure am I suppose to use on my car because I have a tremendous amount of orange peel. The 1500 grit isn't enough to get the orange peel out. So when I used the 1000 grit today it still didn't get out the orange peel. I am prolly not using hte sander correctly. Then when I was done with the 1000 and 1500 there was still some orange peel but when I buffed with the compound and polish from turtle wax I saw circular scratches still left from the sander. I have no idea of how much pressure, direction, or how I know I am done sanding the other scratches off. I have a white car so it is hard to see with the sunlight on what I need to sand still until I buff it then I notice the scratches because it shows up instead of shine. Sorry for all the questions!

-Minaru

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I hate orbital sanders. Hand sand it with 1000, 1500 then 2000 grit, once you get it all wetsanded then use a variable speed buffer so you don't burn through the paint.

minaru

I use 1000 hand sand but it doesnt take out the orange peel and I want ot learn how to use a random orbital because I already bought it. Maybe ill hand sand 600, orbital 1000-1500, and hand sand 2000.

dc2_

how did it go for you?

if u already sanded with 1000 grit then be careful attempting to sand any furthur.
Do NOT Sand with 600
stick with 1000 grit. u do not need 1500 after. just go straight to 2000 and then even 3000 if u want.

dont use turtle polish,its garbage...what type of compound are u using? i recommend using the compound "ultra cut compound" made by meguiars...if u cant get ur hands on that then im sure u can find ultimate compound,either of those should take care of removing the scratches..finish off with either ultra finishing polish,or ultimate polish. also by meguiars..then with ur favorite wax.

make sure i keep the paint/paper wet at all times
by hand sand side to side till u cover everything evenly, not familiar with sanding by machine.

wat machine are u using to remove the sanding scratches? if ur using the orbital random polisher it wont work..its way too slow...u can try polishing them out with a dual action polisher but its going to take forever.

You need a rotary direct drive buffer...but without expirience it can do some damage.

let me know how it went bro

dc2_

tip:

after u sand with 1000 side to side
sand with 2000 and 3000 up n down.

that way wen u polish out the scratches.
if u see scratches side to side(then its 1000 grit scratches) n u need to sand up n down again with 2000/3000 again
if u see up n down scratches(then its from 2000/3000) n u just need a little more buffing

rexpepper123

i like the 3m compound set they have. just use the sander lightly use the weight of the tool . i always use 800 first not wet and then go over it wet with the 1000 an 3000 buff with wool pad with extra cut compound then foam pad with swirl mark remover then good ass wax ;)

dc2_

3m is alright.
but if he wants top of the notch stuff stick with meguiars

and for good ass wax lol i recommend nxt gen 2.0 wax(meguiars) or ultimate wax(meguiars)
those are synthetic waxes they last the longest
after u wipe off let the wax cure for 12-24 hours
and apply a 2nd coat of wax for maximum protection.
since u just wetsanded and polished u removed alot of clear
put a fresh coat of wax on every 2-3 months
or if ur obsessive like me...u will wax every month even thou its not needed

dc2_

basically wetsand
compound - wool pad if ur using a direct drive buffer such as makita/dewalt
if using a dual action polisher use a foam cutting pad
nxt step polish with polishing foam pad
wax with finishing foam pad

minaru

wow sorry for the very late reply. Well many things have happened to my car since then. For example it was black and as I was sanding the top of the car with 1500 random orbit air sander it picked up the sand particles from under the paint that was dried and it left very deep scratches on my car. Then I decided to repaint my car again because it was horrible and please don't flame me for painting it the cheap way but this car is beat up literally. The first time I got it it had clear peeling off everywhere and the sun had faded the parts that had lost its clear and the front passenger fender looked like someone spray painted flat black on it. It has two huge dents next to the tail light from the previous owner and many dings every where else that I bondoed and it isnt too bad. So I decided to go white and the color isn't bad but I still have a very hard time getting the orange peel off with 1000 by hand. I've just tried to ultimate compound on the car and it is pretty nice but it still has the scratches so Im probably goign to have to sand it again in a week or so when I have time and when my M105 and m205 compounds come in!!

This picture has a light on top of it to show how bad some of it looks:

This is a shot to show some of the shine it has and that I am going to try and improve by using m105 and m205:

Last edited: