Alarm System and Remote Starter Install. Manual Transmission. Hard?

SleepWalker42o

Hello everyone, for some of you that live in the chicago land area, you can tell its getting a little chilly. I'm doing some research on how to install alarms and remote starters, have any of you done this by yourself? and how easy is it? im just worried about connecting the wires to the right ones behind the cluster( or where are the wires... ) Arn't all the wires you work with behind the cluster?

Please anyone with some insight just lmk.

Diagrams are nice, or anything else... It just seems like out of the box... THERE ARE SO MANY WIRES.

If everyone thinks its too hard, do any of you know of people in chicago area or even somewhere close by chicago that i can get this done for a reasonable price?

Thanks ahead of time.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I wouldn't try it, if I were you. Sounds like it'll be way over your head.
The only wire you need behind the guage cluster is the tach wire for the remote starter.
For the remote starter, the majority of the wires you need are the ones coming down the steering column from the backside of the key cylinder. The rest are under the dash on the driver side.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Yes, it is quite hard. You don't just jump right in to doing alarms, let alone remote starts. A new installer will usually work for at least 3 months before getting into alarms.

Manual transmission makes it that much harder. Many remote start alarms aren't even designed for manual trans.

You don't go behind the cluster. Not even for the tach wire. You can get the tach wire at the diagnostic plug or at the distributor.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
If you get the tach behind the cluster, it's one less wire running through your engine bay - it's less work. And you don't need to worry about your connection getting corrored by the elements.

SleepWalker42o

I wonder how much it would cost to get both Alarm and Remote starter installed. Any idea of price range? or a reasonable one?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I wonder how much it would cost to get both Alarm and Remote starter installed. Any idea of price range? or a reasonable one?
remote start on standard tranny is illegal to put in i think. they might only do it if you get compustar or the clifford ones with the neutral saftey

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
The kind of installer that would do an auto trans remote start on a manual trans is not the kind of installer you want doing it. That would be like getting your dental work done at the swap meet by the guy that performs illegal abortions.

DEI makes remote starts for manual trans, and they make modules to add to auto trans app remote starts.

You can expect to pay upwards of $450.

lv4sndz

Ok so here is the truth about remote starts in standards. Im a professional installer and have been for 11 years. I currently work at Best Buy and we do due remote starts in standards. The charge depends on the install bay, i usually charge an extra $50 for a standard install on top of the basic install but this also depends on the car, your car would be only $50. The DEI viper alarms have a bypass built in it from the factory now. Have a professional install anything like a alarm or remote start. Main reason is if something happens to the install you can just bring it back to them to fix it. Ask the installers in your local shop there install standards like do they solder the wires or if they hook up tach and such. If you have any other questions about anything car audio just PM me here.
Mike G

P.S. The tach wire on the 3rd gen integras is either at the distributor or the injector on the instrument cluster, the VSS is in the cluster though.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
The injector on the instrument cluster?
He omitted an "or". You can always go to the injectors for tach. I have done all of the above many times. Unless I was pulling the cluster for some other reason, I would go to the diagnostic connector near the clutch fluid resevoir. Easy, clean, weatherproof, fast. On my personal car I pull the cluster and go for several connections there for stealth.

I was an installer for Circuit City and then Best Buy. I have an advanced MECP (formerly known as first class) still valid for a couple more years though I wont be renewing it. Best Buy is a great company but you would be foolish to trust the installers at any particular location just based on the company name. In my area, there is only one location with one installer (the shop supervisor) that knows anything at all. That's out of four locations. The other locations have installers that don't know their head from their ass. It's quite sad to go in there and help them find an Integra dash kit after they try to give me a mazda multi-kit (just one example). And none of them bother to employ car audio salesman. But then again, no one buys car audio anymore...

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
He omitted an "or". You can always go to the injectors for tach. I have done all of the above many times. Unless I was pulling the cluster for some other reason, I would go to the diagnostic connector near the clutch fluid resevoir. Easy, clean, weatherproof, fast. On my personal car I pull the cluster and go for several connections there for stealth.

I was an installer for Circuit City and then Best Buy. I have an advanced MECP (formerly known as first class) still valid for a couple more years though I wont be renewing it. Best Buy is a great company but you would be foolish to trust the installers at any particular location just based on the company name. In my area, there is only one location with one installer (the shop supervisor) that knows anything at all. That's out of four locations. The other locations have installers that don't know their head from their ass. It's quite sad to go in there and help them find an Integra dash kit after they try to give me a mazda multi-kit (just one example). And none of them bother to employ car audio salesman. But then again, no one buys car audio anymore...
hey were gonna do a stealth alarm today based on your write up thanks man !

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
if youre familiar with wires, it wont be so hard.

it took me and my friend 2 hours to completely install my clifford 2way.

all the work was done underneath the driver's side dash. all you have to figure out is which wires you gotta splice into (lots of homework). you'll be fine. i havnt had any experience on installing a remote start since i have a fuel cutoff that i use all the time..