Alignment, Suspension Question

samace_sg

Second Glance
This has always bothered me.. Once you get an alignment, and the Tie rods are locked in place what makes the alignment go bad. Is it moving. when you lower the car isnt the tie rod bushing in the same place?

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Get a camber kit. I don't have one cause I like having camber since I touge and track a lot.

samace_sg

Second Glance
I Dont have alignment issues.. just wondering how does the alignment get thrown off.

Pot holes, curbs and rough roads will wear the ball joints in the tie rods causing them to become slightly off wich will throw your alignment off. Also if the jam nut isn't tight enough, the tie rod will end up twisting in or out throwing your alignment off. Hope this helps.

samace_sg

Second Glance
its does.. explains it a lot better.. thanks

Ghettokracker71

LS/Vturd
When I worked in two diff alignment shops,...basically we told customers the same things. Bumps, potholes, def. speed bumps, big curbs ya gotta drive over or anything,...Sucks.

I don't have rear camber adjustment,...but my rear cambers been in spec before,and after I lowered it for quite some time

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I defintely know it's the tie rods. Just don't know why.
lol...

It's just wear and tear on your suspension components. Every car wears out. Parts on that car will go with it. Your springs will sag over time, and that'll sit the car lower then it was in stock form setting the suspension in a different geometry then how it goes in stock form. That’s why you need to get alignments. In all technicality your tie rods shouldn't move. They are "Jammed" into spot. Everything else moves. All your tie rods do is steer the tires.

Lowering your car sets it in a different form because it'd be like your springs super sagging. Right now, the best example I can come up with is this:
Picture a flimsy chair. It's standing, fine; legs are strait, table flat. It's standing perfect, but then a fat chick comes and sits on it.. The legs flare out and the chair is in super squat mode about ready to snap.

an alignment for the chair would be to change the angles of the legs, so that when Bertha sits on the chair the legs stay strait. That's where camber kits come into play. Honda's don't have a way to adjust camber stock, but as your car gets older (or you lower it) it needs some way to adjust for the changes. Camber kits aren’t necessarily just for lowered cars. They're made to put the car back into the correct form.

...A.D.D. just kicked in, and I forgot where I was... lol. lmk if that makes sense.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
lol...

It's just wear and tear on your suspension components. Every car wears out. Parts on that car will go with it. Your springs will sag over time, and that'll sit the car lower then it was in stock form setting the suspension in a different geometry then how it goes in stock form. That’s why you need to get alignments. In all technicality your tie rods shouldn't move. They are "Jammed" into spot. Everything else moves. All your tie rods do is steer the tires.

Lowering your car sets it in a different form because it'd be like your springs super sagging. Right now, the best example I can come up with is this:
Picture a flimsy chair. It's standing, fine; legs are strait, table flat. It's standing perfect, but then a fat chick comes and sits on it.. The legs flare out and the chair is in super squat mode about ready to snap.

an alignment for the chair would be to change the angles of the legs, so that when Bertha sits on the chair the legs stay strait. That's where camber kits come into play. Honda's don't have a way to adjust camber stock, but as your car gets older (or you lower it) it needs some way to adjust for the changes. Camber kits aren’t necessarily just for lowered cars. They're made to put the car back into the correct form.

...A.D.D. just kicked in, and I forgot where I was... lol. lmk if that makes sense.
Yes it made sense. Thanks for the explanation.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Also, something that bothers me..............When lowering your car, it is the toe out that creates most of the tire wear. Most people assume it the camber. When it is lowered the tie rod mounting points come down pushing the front of the tire out. (toe out)

Now the inside of your tires wears like a bitch and you think it's because of camber. Toe wears tires MUCH quicker than negative camber could dream of