All four tires blowout?!

LivingAlone@17

I took my tired to walmart about 1 week ago, and they were supposed to put the "low profile" tired on my 17" rims. Well, I was looking through the window, and it took the 3-4 hours to finish. When I was watching them, I heard them say "are you sure we should go higher?" "It's already at 90 PSI". The other guy responded with yeah, just go ahead.

Well, I didn't think anything of it, untill my friend was working on my car and one tired was looking a bit low. Then I thought, what is they had made spider cracks? Well, today I go out to my driveway and ALL FOUR tires are blownout, like shredded almost, not just flat, but like they coulden't hold the pressure.

Can I sue wal-mart, I doubt they would have the tire tread I needed. Taking my receipt back would give me a refund, but what about my wheels?!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i doubt you could sue them when you ordered your tires from them...you should have specified the size you needed....

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Don't sue Walmart, that is a bad idea. They will rape you in the patushka. Complain to the manager, you will most likely get your money back, maybe some tires, who knows. Tell them you heard the techs saying they increased the pressure past 90psi when the pressure should be at about 32-35psi. Just stand strong and dont' take "no" for an answer. Just keep the lawyers out of it unless the situation gets out of hand.

LivingAlone@17

Good ideas, I had the right size tired for the rims, I didn't buy the tires from them, only wanted them put on for me. and they went to 110 PSI.

300zxkid

did wal-mart use the tire machine for low-pro tires it clamps to the inside of the rim use to work at tire wherehouse we were told never seat a bead over 55psi

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Same machines are used, psi is psi regardless of the tire size.

mirrorimg

Take the tires back. Complain. Tell them the installers messed up, and over pressurized the tires, causing the failure (The sides of the tires clearly say the maximum psi for the tires). Tell them that had they blown out on the road you or others could have been seriously hurt.

Can I sue wal-mart, I doubt they would have the tire tread I needed. Taking my receipt back would give me a refund, but what about my wheels?!
Im sure they can special order them.

jznsn2u

>_< you should've said something as soon as you heard them say "It's already at 90 PSI"

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
You're being a lot calmer about this than I would be. If i came outside and saw all four tires exploded I'd be looking for blood

300zxkid

no there 2 types of manchines one uses a bar to take off put on the other uses a wheel on a arm if i can a pic i'll post it

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^ I'm guessing most up-to-date places are going to have a machine that does both.

When I was working in a shop we had one. The bar is for removing the tire... I actually cant think of a way to get the bead of the tire over the lip of the rim without using the bar.

As for the blown out tires, what did they mark down on your sheet that the PSI was set to? I agree... going back to walmart and complaining to the manager is probably you best bet. saying "I'm going to sue you!" instantly closes their mouths and gets their lawyers involved... Try reasoning with them first... last thing a huge store like that wants is a pissed off customer, so they usually can try and accommodate your needs

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
The machines used to mount the tires could be different. That wasn't the question. The question was about the air pressure. Technically you could use a frigging bicycle pump to pump your tires up. There is no special machine for that.

I know what machine you are talking about, I've mounted my fair share of tires in my day. I don't want to sound like a dick but I was a mechanic at Honda for a while before I took this desk job. Money is better so why not.

Anyway, back on topic. I don't know how someone could pump a tire up to the 110 psi unless they also don't know how to tie a shoe.

^ I'm guessing most up-to-date places are going to have a machine that does both.

When I was working in a shop we had one. The bar is for removing the tire... I actually cant think of a way to get the bead of the tire over the lip of the rim without using the bar.
Up-to-date places should have both, you're right. It's not how new they are, it's the function they are needed for. You can get either new or used. The ones that are better for low profile tires usually cost more (depending on quality). I think you are confused about the said bar we are talking about. Tires can be take off with a crow-bar and the show of the machine.

Last edited: