Alrighty guys 2nd attempt, any advice?

So i did an oil pan gasket when i did my header install about 7 months ago and i took the advice of a 30+ year auto mechanic i know and put silicone on my rubber gasket (fel pro) well needless to say that it worked for a month or so and then started leaking again worse than before. So this time i bought the most expensive one i could find and i'm going to replace it again when i do my clutch and output shaft seals. Question is has anyone done thiers successfully and what do you guys think silicone or no silicone? I tried to find a cork one but they just don't make em'. If i remember right the torque spec was 15 ft. lbs. which when torquing squished it out pretty good. I did the proper tightening sequence but this seemed a little overkill on the bolts. Anyways any advice from someone who has done it before would be appreciated, thanks :)

i don't get why you're trying to use silicone? why not just replace the rubber gasket?

I am but that guy told me to put a little silicone on it before i put it on and that is what i did the first time and it obviously didn't work. Why can't these damn engines have a flat oil pan surface it would make it so much easier lol

i would give it a shot with no silicone. when the silicone dries, it sometimes tends to puff up a little, thus creating a little or more separation between the two parts which obviously leaves more open space for oil to leak from. i would try to scrape out whatever pieces of silicone are still attatched, replace the rubber gasket with a brand new one, and tighten all bolts to manufacturer recommendation which i believe is 13-15 lbs. if that doesn't stop the leak, maybe try going around the outside edge with some heavy duty silicone, not the cheap stuff, instead of putting the silicone in between the parts

idk, never had this problem, i'm just throwing out ideas

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I've never had a problem wtih the oil pan gaskets leaking on hondas. Are you sure that's where your oil leak is.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Are you sure your pan isn't warped?

Also, when using silicone, surface prep is a major concern. You should be able to make it seal easily if it's prepped right and not warped. 4G63's don't even use oil pan gaskets, they are silicon only.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
they tend to leak at the oil pump flange, i usually put a dab of ultra grey there (honda bond)

White_Rabbit

You could have used too much. I'm guessing what he meant is putt a very very thing lair on the pan. Wait for it to get tacky, almost dry, and then put your gasket on. This will keep it from moving around on you. This is what most mechanics do so you're not fighting to get your holes lined up and the gasket sliding around on you.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Take some scotch brite to it, wipe clean, spit is the best cleaner. Spit on a rag and wipe it dry, then reinstall. I use a rubber gasket and It doesn't leak.