Alternator - Quick Question

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
Is the bolt that secures the alternator that is farthest towards the bottom of the car a bolt that I have to hammer out or is the entire thing threaded? I've been trying to get this bolt out for 2 days now with no luck. Soaked it in PB Blaster, torched it for minutes on end, and am hammering it as best as I can.

Help me please :(:(:(:(

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
okay well i just got it out by pounding it out. only the end was threaded. but now i need a new bolt. any ideas? autozone doesn't have anything...

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
No. The end of the bolt (about 1-1.5 inches) was threaded. The rest of the bolt is smooth. Sort of like a caliper bolt w/o the grooves in it.

I need to know if I can replace this with a normal, full threaded bold with a hex-head asap. I orded an OEM bolt from my local Acura dealer but it won't be there until Thursday... and I need my car out of the garage tonight if possible.

92gsrboy

im pretty sure the other 2 bolts will be good enough till the one you order comes.....

mirrorimg

im pretty sure the other 2 bolts will be good enough till the one you order comes.....
Other two bolts? He isnt talking about the bracket, he is talking about the bottom bolt of the actual alternator, it (when not secured at the top) pivots on this bolt.

For a temporary replacement, I went and got a bolt from Home Depot. Doesnt matter if its threaded completely or like the stock bolt. It just holds the bottom of the alternator in place. You tension it using the top bolt.

I then ordered one from Acura, and its probably still sitting in a box in my house. It doesnt matter what bolt you use, just get one approximately the same diameter and about the same length. Is there something wrong with the bolt you took out?