Ambient lights questions

Evul9

First of all, I have searched on here and on google, but have not found the complete answer. I have an average understanding of electric so please be patient.

What I want to do is put in footwell light connected to the dome so they turn on when I open the door etc. Piece of cake. Now here is my question. I also want to have footwell lights on (but not as bright) when my lights are on. The only way I could think of doing this is by connecting a bright set of lights to the dome light and then have seperate lights that are dimmer for when I turn the lights on while driving (connecting then to the console/dimmer I assume) very very dim, family just bought a new pilot and I really like the blue ambient light.

Is there a better way/is this way safe?

I hope I explained it well enough, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

94RS

No fucks given.
Pretty much you want a set to turn on when you open the doors and another set to stay on while driving, correct?

Then I'd say yeah, wire up to a dimmer switch and call it a day.

Evul9

Yeah, pretty much. So wire up one set to the dimmer and another to the dome light correct?
By dimmer I mean the one that is allready there for the gauges, is that what you mean or a seperate dimmer? I would like, if possible to have it connected to the dimmer that is allready there. Thanks

Last edited:

94RS

No fucks given.
You could tap into the dimmer that's already there, but I only mentioned a separate dimmer switch so that your gauges wouldn't be dark as shit when the led's are.

Also, if you picked up more wire, you could run just a single set of LED's. Besides hooking them to the dome light (which you said you can do), you'd have to also hook them to something like the headlights or something that way the circuit would switch on and off when they do.

Bear in mind that I am no expert either, just going off of all the shit I've setup on my scoot :lol:

Evul9

Ok thanks a BUNCH. Will see what I decide to do and find out how it works. Thanks again.

TheSkygun

could also set it to dim with the cluster lights if you tape in to power from the light around the cig plug haha. but 94rs's way id recommend

Evul9

ok, so i did the wiring so the leds just light up when i open the door for now... and i must have done something wrong. I just tapped into the light green dome light wire in the a pillar, ran that to the led strip and then grounded another and ran that to the led. So... when the door is open, the LEDs are OFF, and when i close the door the leds turn on... What am i doing wrong? I looked at some how-to stuff and thats what they did... its luike i am completing the circuit when i close the door...

94RS

No fucks given.
You tapped the wrong wire.

the problem is that the dome light switch on the ceiling directly grounds the assembly up there, there is no good way to tie into it.....

now if you want them to work with the door opening (which n turn grounds the domelight turning it on), then that's easy, the ground wire when the door opened is the Green/Red wire in the driver side A pilar
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/17-audio-security-electrical/214026-controlling-leds-dome-light.html

Don't feel bad, my last taillight on my bike, I mixed up the wires for the running lights and the brake light. So it looked like my brakes were stuck on all the time and the license plate lights brightened up when I hit the brake.

Didn't realize I did it until 8 months later when I put on an R6 taillight :lol:

Evul9

Oh thanks for the responces, I blew a fuse so I put it all back together and a friend of mine will help me. Thanks!

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
I have a 3rd gen

Im in the exact same boat, except I just want to use the dome light as the switch, so it works like the dome light. I don't want to run wires under the liner to the switch. I would rather use the fuse box or tap into a wire near the dash. There is no diagram for the DC on this :(

Sorry for the questions, but I just want a little more clarification on this....
Anyone know which color wire to tap into for the 12v and ground?
Can I just ground the wire to the body?
Could I get away with an add a circuit to the fuse section for the dome light?
Would I need a relay, if I was just running 2 led strips that has 30 leds on each strip?(I will figure out the Amperage on the strips)

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/17-audio-security-electrical/214026-controlling-leds-dome-light.html

Don't feel bad, my last taillight on my bike, I mixed up the wires for the running lights and the brake light. So it looked like my brakes were stuck on all the time and the license plate lights brightened up when I hit the brake.

Didn't realize I did it until 8 months later when I put on an R6 taillight :lol:
lol...to funny

funny about that link tho, it popped up before this one when I googled it. Unfortunately, its incomplete and lacks a lot of info.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
how does a car alarm installer hook up the dome light, so it comes on when you disarm the alarm? Maybe then, I can figure out what wire to tap into for my 12v power.

Or maybe I will just have to figure it out on my own, and do another DIY on it :(

94RS

No fucks given.
When it comes to more in depth stuff like that, I'm useless :lol: Could always take a short trip to an install shop and ask?

dlo253

how does a car alarm installer hook up the dome light, so it comes on when you disarm the alarm? Maybe then, I can figure out what wire to tap into for my 12v power.

Or maybe I will just have to figure it out on my own, and do another DIY on it :(
Just replied to your text, but alarm installers do it through a relay. I would have to look at my cutlass to tell you how exactly the relay is wired because I did that a long time ago, lol. check the12volt.com