Amped speakers worth it?

iDrive a GS-R

Ok so i have a kenwood headunit thats rated at 22w rms and 50w peak

I have some kicker speakers all around rated at 6-65w rms 195w peak
If i bought say i 4 channel amp rated at 60x4w rms somewhere around there would i notice a big difference in the sound quality and loudness of my speakers?

maddogg20

its night and day bro, give the speakers an amp. It was a HUGE difference when I installed mine. The head units will put out enough voltage, but the quality gets worse as you increase volume, and itll cause the head unit to run hot. With an amp its designed to take the abuse and give you better sound quality.

iDrive a GS-R

Hmm i guess ill think about getting an amp should i get a 5 channel for the speakers and sub or one for the sub and one for the speakers
I have a 2/1 channel for my sub

jrhdominos

The five channels are nice but most of the good ones are pricey.....if you have a 2 channel or a mono block already, no sense in buying the five channel, just cop the 4 channel and you should be cherry. Mind if I ask what brand you are going with??

dlo253

Yes it is worth it. Very much so, Haha.

maddogg20

Always keep the amp for the speakers and the amp for the sub seperate.

You can get a 4 channel amp for the speakers, probably around 400 watts and the get a 2 or single channel for the subs. Yu want to be able to tube your speakers differently than the subs because you will usually want to use the cross over in the amp for the speakers to eliminate the bass getting sent to the speakers from the amp and let your subs do the bass.

If you were to get a 5 channel amp it would be a strange combo. Normal 12 inch subs will usually require 400-600 watts of power going to each sub and the majority of speakers will only be able to survive between 100-200 watts max. SO if you got a 5 channel amp big enough to run a sub, you would toast your speakers. The way I did it was I ran 2 sets of RCA cables (4 RCAS total) to the back of the car and I ran the RCAS for the front 2 channels directly to the 4 channel amp and the RCA cable coming from the rear outputs is run to the input side of the 2 channel amp, and then out of the 2 channel amp and back into the 4 channel for the front inputs.

You can split the rca's using splitters but that usually degrades signal quality because it is split, so I have found it best to use the outputs from the 2 channel amp to feed the rear channel inputs on the speaker amp because it doesnt degrade that bad.

P.S. You ALWAYS want the amp for the subs hooked up to the rear channels otherwise it sounds funky.

Hope this helps....

Andy

iDrive a GS-R

Thanks for all the info
One last question my speakers are rated at 65w rms should i get an amp thats a little over that rating like say 70-75w or should i get it right at 65

BeatBox

Real Good!
wait for beatbox he's all about this stuff
:thumbs up, i know alittle something i always ask for help aswell

is it worth it? YES IT IS! you will get much louder and clearer sound

dont get a 5channel amp they arent worth it, def get a highs amp and a sub amp

as far as wattage i would get something that does 100watts rms per channel, that way you can upgrade in the future its better to upgrade speakers than the amp itself

as far as rating on the speakers, usually thats not always a exact number they are sometimes able to handle alittle more or might not even do what they rate them(cheaper stuff)

you also have to look at what ohm load your speakers should run at, they are most common in 4ohm so based off that and the power it makes at that ohm THEN select the amp you want to go with. sometimes you can bridge the amp to get alittle more power out of them, i have a 4 channel amp for 4 mids each pair are bridged on each pair of channels, instead of running a speakers off each channel by itself

hope that helps, its alittle hard to explain some stuff but if you have any q's ill try to help

TheSkygun

maddogg20;1054549. P.S. You ALWAYS want the amp for the subs hooked up to the rear channels otherwise it sounds funky. [IMG said:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/andyjman16/IMG_0968.jpg[/IMG]

Hope this helps....

Andy
how did you by your amps to stay on the back of the seats, I was going to do that but seemed to me that it would just pull out of the carpet or the pins out of the seat.

DC4GoFast

i have a car problem
I say get a Kenwood, I had a the 620w 4-channel for my mids and highs, and it was absolutely amazing, I also had kicker speakers. I had a Kenwood 1800 monoblock for my subs, both amps were the best I ever had, wish i wouldnt have sold them. Sound quality was amazing and they NEVER, EVER shut off!