Anodizing Rims ???

steve-o_585

Does anybody know how to anodize rims or im not sure if its called anodizing. Does anyone know what im talking about? Lol. I cant seem to find any pictures at the moment.

jason86

Anodized, is a type of finish. The correct way to do it is to send the wheels to a company that powercoats, and have them do it professionaly. Most of them have LOTS of colors you can choose from, and if they dont have it they can always order it (for more $ of course). However, if your on a budget, Duplicolor has "Anodized" color options in rattle can form.

Link here> http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

The finish wont be as good as a professinal job, and its more prone to chipping/fading, however if you prepare, spray, and take care of the wheels properly, it can come out pretty decent and last for awhile.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I prefer have have wheels anodized rather than powder coated.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
anodizing would cost a fortune on wheels.
i used to play tournament paintball and guys would anodize their guns, it would cost 600-800 just for that.

i assume you want that neo-chrome look

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
powdercoating is actually painting the wheel and getting it baked on, where anodize is staining the medal (if I remember correctly?) anodize is chemicals
Correct!

Anodizing in itself has little to do with color. They submerse the parts in an acid bath and electrically charge them to raise and thicken the natural oxide layer to improve corrosion resistance and also allows it to take to color much better. They dye the metal afterwords. Without anodizing, the dye won't take. Painting it too look anodized, doesn't offer any superior benefits of adhesion, wear and corrosion resistance.

Powdercoating, they apply a dry, colored, powder media, electrically charge the media and part for bonding the bake it on for curing.

Last edited:

steve-o_585

I like to save moneyand find ways to do things on my own, i seen the duplicolor paint but i wanted to know if there were any exotic colors like teal. Is there any way i can do anodizing in my basement or garage?