Another B18c1 Engine Build. Need help with choosing correct parts!

Erickline

Hey Teg Fans. Ive got a few questions for the motor heads on this forum. please dont comment if your just a forum guy thats never wrenched before. i need answers from people that know the Honda game in and out. Thank you.

Ive rebuilt a b18c1 before in the past but havent messed around in the block to much. Ive picked up another bone stock b18c1 long block with 212k on all stock internals. Im aiming to build a fun, performance, but still practical and reliable engine and would like some help picking and choosing the correct parts.

Here is what i have for the head:
-SKUNK2 LMAs
-TYPE R dual springs
-Crower 63402 stage 2 cams (not brian crower)
-Supertech valve seals

For the block:
-oem honda oil pump
-oem honda water pump
-eagle h-beam forged rods

Engine Management:
- I managed to score a p06 with hondata s200 for $40 bucks

My questions are:
1) should I get new retainers for my springs or use the origional retainers that came with the springs? im concerned with the lift of the cam being to intense for the retainers.
2)will the original valves have any issues with the bigger cam lift?
3)what pistons should i run? im trying to stay oem honda. i was looking into pr3 ctr pistons or p73 itr pistons. how do you feel about these? will these pistons have clearance issues with the valves?
4) is there any issues running oem honda pistons on eagle rods?
5)will this ecu and tuning software i have work for my obd1 gsr?

If any of you could answer these questions thatd be great. thanks

Let me know if you guys would be intersted in any pictures on the build. id like to keep this forum going for a whiles until its done and pictures are always cool to look at hahah.

Heres some of my prior work ive done back when i was 15/16 with my first teggy.
Engine build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQThf8KNEc
paint/body work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZ0jGmTkho
Assembly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDAXrQMwDxM

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
My questions are:
1) Retainers arent' the concern, valve springs are. Check what valve spring pressure Crower recommends for those cams and then go from there. Chances are oem valve springs wont be enough.
2)No
3)What compression do you want to end up with?
4) Why upgrade only the rod? If money is an issue, reuse stock rods, they are good for 300+hp
5)Yes if you find someone to actually tune it.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Erickline said:
Here is what i have for the head:
-SKUNK2 LMAs
-TYPE R dual springs
-Crower 63402 stage 2 cams (not brian crower)
-Supertech valve seals
What made you pick those cams? The cam dictates your entire build. Why not run the recommended spring and retainer package from Crower instead of ITR springs? I recommend new valve guides and a 3 angle valve job.

Erickline said:
Engine Management:
- I managed to score a p06 with hondata s200 for $40 bucks
Thats an amazing deal. S200 is old but will work. Might be tough finding a tuner for it.

Erickline said:
My questions are:
1) should I get new retainers for my springs or use the origional retainers that came with the springs? im concerned with the lift of the cam being to intense for the retainers.
I like to match retainers to the spring. If you are dead set on using ITR springs than use ITR OEM retainers. I recommend you upgrade the spring and retainer to whatever Crower recommends for that cam. Cam dictates spring rates.

Erickline said:
2)will the original valves have any issues with the bigger cam lift?
Doubtful - this is a mild cam.

Erickline said:
3)what pistons should i run? im trying to stay oem honda. i was looking into pr3 ctr pistons or p73 itr pistons. how do you feel about these? will these pistons have clearance issues with the valves?
I like compression and if you are going through all this effort go as high as you can go. CTR all day long. Technically you should check the piston to valve clearance but I doubt you have the measuring tools to do it properly, however you can use clay in a pinch. But I doubt it with a mild cam. If you have your machine shop mill the block have them record the amount and then buy a thicker head gasket to restore deck height to original, this will ensure head is not closer to pistons.

Erickline said:
4) is there any issues running oem honda pistons on eagle rods?
Yes they are a pain in the ass bc of press fit pins. Either go with OEM piston/OEM rod or aftermarket piston & rod.

Erickline said:
5)will this ecu and tuning software i have work for my obd1 gsr?
You hit the jackpot with an OBD1 chasis so you can do whatever you want to it an avoid emission head aches. You can upgrade to S300 for only $395 if you want.

Erickline

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm considering selling the crowers and getting ITR cams. I'll prolly run ITR cams on the ITR springs/retainers with p73 rods and pistons. I guess the parts search will continue