Another "Car wont start" thread :)

BeatBox

Real Good!
GOT IT FIXED!!!!!

Car is 98 LS, has been working fine no problem.....
today i went to start it and nothing, not sure what the problem is....

Can someone point me in the direction to try to find out whats wrong?

These are things ive checked:

Batteries are good, theres 3 lol all good on voltage
Gas i just put some in yesterday
Fuel pump DOES start, i can hear it when i turn the key
starter cant be it, because it TRIES TO START but nothing
fuses are also all good under the hood and under the dash

guy at work said, unplug one of the plugs...take it out plug it in out of the engine and have someone watch it as you start it....IT SHOULD SPARK UP, if it doesnt then its the "coil pack" not sure what that is........

but did try it and IT DIDNT SPARK :(

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Ok, so the engine is turning over, but it is not firing, correct? And then you checked it for spark and there was none... Likely causes would be the cap and/or rotor, or the coil (which is in the distributor)

BeatBox

Real Good!
Ok, so the engine is turning over, but it is not firing, correct? And then you checked it for spark and there was none... Likely causes would be the cap and/or rotor, or the coil (which is in the distributor)
yup, kinda wants to start but nothing, i put the spark plug into the plug, out of the engine tried it and didnt see it spark like a spark plug should

another thing theres a few thing to that piece where the plug wires go, what would be the part i replace...
just the top piece and the round piece on the inside?
like in this video?
[YOUTUBE="just watch"]mwg_7ibn3nw[/YOUTUBE]

here is a link to the parts...
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=part_picker&make=Acura&model=INTEGRA&year=1998&version=3DR LS&transmission=KA5MT&system=PARTS&component=DISTRIBUTOR (TEC)

would there be any visible signs of it being "bad" ?

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
The top piece is the cap, the round piece is the rotor, and the coil is under the plastic shroud under the cap. I can post pics later...eating now :)

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
I couldn't see the parts, it was just a blank page, but here is the cap...

Rotor

Coil

As far as if there is something visible to look for. On the coil, no...but you can look for cracks, wear, or carbon buildup on the cap and rotor. I'm guessing its your coil, but replacing the cap and rotor is good maintenance anyway.

BeatBox

Real Good!
yeah it was picture of that whole assembly, imma go check it out....
thanks for posting,
i heard that if i was to get a used coil any one from a similar engine will work?
or should i guy a new one, not sure on price tho....if its used ill get it for free, buddie works at Junkyard

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
It's your call, and i understand free is tempting, but I would recommend getting a new one. Then again, you could at least get one just to check... He should know the interchange if he has a junkyard.

BeatBox

Real Good!
took the cap off the rotor off but the screws on the coil are rusty/corroded and really tight, i think hey are starting to strip out

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Only thing I can recommend there would be to soak them with pb blaster or something similar. Not wd40, you need something that will penetrate (heh...that's what she said)

BeatBox

Real Good!
Could you get a vice grips on the screw heads?
thats what used and hey came off :)
cleaned off the corrosion and rust, out everyhing back other and still nothing, i thinn it is the coil pack at this point
its $89 at autozone, they said that, thats prob my problem since if it was rotor or the distributor it would cause it to miss fire not, not starting.
imma go to the junk yard in the am and get another one, if it works ill prob buy a new one if it still doesnt we'll see
thanks again for the help, ill +rep :thumbs up

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
No prob! I'll check in tomorrow to see if you got it. It could also be the ignition module in the distributor. I forgot about that. They do have a good point on the cap and rotor. Would cause misfire first.