Another Comfort Question.. Sorry!

woohoo

Taller tires will mess up your speedo. From a dead stop, it will take more throttle to get the car going. Hence, using more gas. However, in cruising speed, you will get better gas mileage due to less rotation of the wheel. Did that make sense :???:
Hm, I've always wondered how tire size had an effect on gas mileage, so that totally made sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me :lol:

woohoo

You're right, I just checked my tires and they are 205/45 :) my bad
Haha no probs. I looked your rims up and it says the offset is around 40, the one's I'm getting (privat remembers) are +35. Found this pic, guy says they're the same rims I just mentioned and on 205/45's:

Really hope mine doesn't turn out like that :???: Maybe it's just the brand tire he has.

Ryan659

I dunno, I got offset close to stock so I wouldn't have to worry about having to roll fenders and being able to keep my fender liner things. Some people like lower offset for the whole flush look but that's not my thing. All depends on what you want man.

woohoo

I dunno, I got offset close to stock so I wouldn't have to worry about having to roll fenders and being able to keep my fender liner things. Some people like lower offset for the whole flush look but that's not my thing. All depends on what you want man.
What I want are mesh wheels like the one's shown above. But all of them are either ridiculously low offset, and/or 15x7 15x8. Pretty sure the remembers are the only mesh wheels in 16x7, and +35 is closest I can get to stock.

I'll probably end up switching my wheel choice eventually anyway hehe.

Thanks a lot for your help, I think I've got everything I needed out of this thread!

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
5mm is roughly 3/16"
The offset is irrelevant for what the tire will look like on the wheel. The width will be the same and the look of the tire will be the same. Offsets are for clearance issues with suspension parts.
Keep in mind, all tires are not created equal. Some 205s will look skinnier on Falkens and wider on Federals. There is also tires that are true to the 205 width like Nittos. The names are examples purposes only

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Running a 195/50-16 Toyo R888, came from a 205/45-16 RE-11 and I can't even really notice the difference in appearance. I do like a 50 sidewall tho.

Nick_C78

brand & model of tire.

a 195/55/15 performance summer tire will have a much stiffer sidewall than say a 195/55/15 snow tire.
Saved me the trouble.

Lets not forget suspension valving and spring choice. Your car can be stock height and still ride like crap if you are in a cheap suspension. Also tire choices matter. Your question is just too vague. Sorry.

For example if you are confused:
JRZ coilovers with Swift springs dropped 3 inches will ride wayyy wayyy wayyy more smooth over Function and Form coilovers at stock height let alone dropped 3 inches.

woohoo

Running a 195/50-16 Toyo R888, came from a 205/45-16 RE-11 and I can't even really notice the difference in appearance. I do like a 50 sidewall tho.
Aside from appearance, I always thought that more side wall generally helps with comfort. Dunno where I got that from, just assumed that if there's more meat on the tire then it feels better/different. My current teg is on 17x7 215/40 and I can tolerate it, so I'm hoping a 205/45 will feel even better. Less width and more sidewall. Idk

woohoo

Saved me the trouble.

Lets not forget suspension valving and spring choice. Your car can be stock height and still ride like crap if you are in a cheap suspension. Also tire choices matter. Your question is just too vague. Sorry.

For example if you are confused:
JRZ coilovers with Swift springs dropped 3 inches will ride wayyy wayyy wayyy more smooth over Function and Form coilovers at stock height let alone dropped 3 inches.
Yeah modding a car and going with a cheap suspension scares the crap out of me especially since I'm going to daily it. I was thinking about the gc + koni. At first research, it seemed like everyone thought it was amazing. But I've come across a few people saying it's crap compared to other setups like the one you mentioned in that example.

There's also the problem of spring rate choice. Lots of factors! But I have time to figure it all out.

woohoo

Quick question if I put a rim thats .5" wider than what the tire is rated for will I get a stretched look/a stretch that is unsafe for daily use? If my question is too vague I guess an example would be Kosei K1 16x7.5" on Kumho 195/50.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Koni yellows + ground control combos with the standard ground control spring rates will be fine. No reason to alter them for daily driving.

Yes, putting a tire on a wheel that is larger than what the tire is rate for will give a stretched look, because it is being stretched. Kosei K1 in 16x7.5 I would run a 205 tire. I would run a 205 on a 7 too because I like the look vs the 195. However, would stretching the tire 0.5 inches be unsafe? Probably not, but why do it at all? There is a reason that tire has said rating, stick with it. The engineers that design the tires are smarter than you. Just remember that.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
More sidewall does make it more comfortable to a certain extent. 40 to 45 was a massive improvement for ride quality.

woohoo

Koni yellows + ground control combos with the standard ground control spring rates will be fine. No reason to alter them for daily driving.
Standard spring rates would be fine even if I'm lowered 2.5"-3" all around? Thought at that drop i'd need to go stiffer :???:

Last edited:

woohoo

More sidewall does make it more comfortable to a certain extent. 40 to 45 was a massive improvement for ride quality.
Yeah I actually remember you saying it was a huge improvement in another post. Either way, coming from a 215/40, I'm sure a 205/45 or 195/50 will be much better for me.