Anti-rice exhaust help needed.

alex14

VEEEETTAAAAKKKK!!! lol
So i bought a 2000 Integra GSR today and the only issue I'm having with it is that the exhaust sounds like absolute ass. It has a WAI, DC header, 2.5 piping, unknown high flow cat, and unknown muffler. What can I do to quiet it down? Its so raspy sounding and I need to know what can take that away. THe cat rattles so I will be replacing that soon. Would a long resonator help? What kind do you guys recommend? how long?

Thanks-Alex

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well you can ditch the current muffler for one. Look into a Magnaflow universal muffler of some sort. They're cheap and sound decent. That may solve the rasp. Adding a resonator will quiet it down but you'll need to have an exhaust shop weld one in. You COULD get rid of the high flow cat and get a stock one, but if you plan on building the motor at all it would be a waste to NOT keep it.

Daybid

Dump or Die.
The 2.5 piping is nice, but yeah haha.. change cat or straight pipe.. but get resonator and STOCK exhaust

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
The 2.5 piping is nice, but yeah haha.. change cat or straight pipe.. but get resonator and STOCK exhaust
What kind of logic is that? Run a straight pipe to a stock exhaust? That would create a bottle neck and some potentially serious issues. If he went back to a stock exhaust and cat he'd be losing some power which is also a bad thing. What your suggesting is to replace one problem with another :what:

Why not either buy a new 2.5" exhaust or at least have a resonator and new muffler welded on? Solves all the problems and keeps the power :thumbs up

OP, you also may simply have an exhaust leak somewhere in your system. The rasp you describe makes me think it may be at the cat/collector connection. You might have a bad donut gasket.

alex14

VEEEETTAAAAKKKK!!! lol
OP, you also may simply have an exhaust leak somewhere in your system. The rasp you describe makes me think it may be at the cat/collector connection. You might have a bad donut gasket.
This very well could be the case. I havnt had time to look at it yet but I will be giving it more inspection tomorrow when I am not working. it has a rattleing noise from the exhaust when you accelerate too. He said the cat it whats rattling, but that could be the leak.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
This very well could be the case. I havnt had time to look at it yet but I will be giving it more inspection tomorrow when I am not working. it has a rattleing noise from the exhaust when you accelerate too. He said the cat it whats rattling, but that could be the leak.
most likely just jack it up and double check for leaks or tighten the bolts :thumbs up

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
actually one easy way to check for leaks is start your car at night when its cold and llook under if you may see smoke from the exhaust pipes or if its in the day a good way to find a leak is to get a cigarette and move it along th eexhaust piping and if the smoke gets pushed in a weird way you probably found your leak

dc2b18

Wait... What?
So i bought a 2000 Integra GSR today and the only issue I'm having with it is that the exhaust sounds like absolute ass. It has a WAI, DC header, 2.5 piping, unknown high flow cat, and unknown muffler. What can I do to quiet it down? Its so raspy sounding and I need to know what can take that away. THe cat rattles so I will be replacing that soon. Would a long resonator help? What kind do you guys recommend? how long?

Thanks-Alex
I wouldn't go back to the stock exhaust because you can get a nice sounding aftermarket one and keep the power. I would check for leaks, but more than likely you have a cheap muffler and just need to get a new one.

phatintegra

Banned
actually one easy way to check for leaks is start your car at night when its cold and llook under if you may see smoke from the exhaust pipes or if its in the day a good way to find a leak is to get a cigarette and move it along th eexhaust piping and if the smoke gets pushed in a weird way you probably found your leak
Or durring the day look for black scuff marks around the gasket ;)

OP, I would get something a little smaller than 2.5". If you have a stock C1 with just basic bolt ons, you really don't need 2.5".
I have 2.36" piping and it's fine for me. the only internal mod I have to my C1 is ITR cams.

Robby99LS

I've never heard it but the Apexi world sport cat back is actually a chambered muffler, not a straight through so it shouldn't sound to bad. Thats what I want to get when I get to that point.