Any good black housing headlights for Gen3?

mkornely89

I have a 99 integra, and I wanted black housing headlights, so I bought some.I bought some black housing halo headlights. I have had them for no more than 2 months. I also installed some HIDs. They are not retrofit, so I aimed the headlights to where they wouldnt blind the oncoming drivers. The black housing part that surrounds the light closest to the light has melted. The black material (whatever it is(hard plastic, IDK)) has bubbled up and has formed a texture, it is not smooth in that area. For instance, my driver side headlight is aimed more inward (towards the passenger side) and downward (so it doesn't blind the oncoming driver). So, the black surrounding the light in that part has bubbled up.

I want black housing headlights, I think they look the best since my car is black, but only aftermarket headlights come in black housing, and the aftermarket headlights are made of terrible quality materials. It is a bad combo.

Does anyone know of some quality black housing headlights?
Has anyone had this similar problem?
Any suggestions?

J_Jay_B

teg driver
ebay would be your best bet for back housing... or you could bake your stock ones and paint the housing black...

and for the HID problem it does say on the headlight that the are not to be used with HID's... this is because they will bubble and melt... a solution to this is to get a 35 Watt HID kit that burns cooler... im not sure how much cooler so it might not be enough to not melt the plastic...

but if you want a good quality headlight that wont melt with HID's and has a black housing, then you should get some stock ones used. bake them and open them up... clean the lenses really good so they are clear. then take the housing and some high heat black paint and spray away...

**EDIT**
if you want the black look you can paint the lenses black or you can use 5% tint film on the outside... it has been done before and if you have HID;s then you wont have to worry about not having enough light output with black headlights.

Last edited:

mkornely89

I think I would prefer the black housing over the HIDs, maybe I should get new headlights and try and sell the HIDs to someone on here...?
So they will not melt if I use regular halogen bulbs, correct?

mkornely89

The bubbling will still bother me though, even if you cant really see it, me knowing its there just bugs me.
I just want someone to reassure me that the melting and bubbling wont occer with non-HID lights. HIDs are cool, but their not that important to me.

Edit: If I were going to keep the HIDs i would probably just buy some used stock headlights

Last edited:

J_Jay_B

teg driver
they black housing headlights will do fine with a non HID bulb... the only reason they melted is because the HID's run so much hotter that halogen bulbs, that it melts the cheap plastic on the ebay lights. i have a set of ebay headlights myself but they are not installed at the moment, i have been lazy. you can still have that HID look tho if you get some Nokya or silverstar premium bulbs...

hamfacekilla

try ebay they have film you can buy that you can use with the hids

dopematic

My 99 front back then had black housing. IMO, I think that the stock headlights looks a lot better than any other aftermarket black housing headlights you'll ever find on the market. Here's some pictures.

teg_your_it

paint the ones you have now.not hard, just time consuming. it's pretty fun if your not in a rush. you just need a big oven to warm up your head lights in order to take a part the headlights.