any trick?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
get friends, preferably fat friends and a breaker bar. me and my buddy had the same problem with his civic. We both had to stand on the breaker bar and jump in tandem.

Dfrederick2nd

Just Playing The Game
ive used the breaker bar and starter trick worked for me on my first civic the last civic i did i had to use an impact with a good sized compressor to get the dam thing off

hidenplanvew

It dosent tighten the bolt... never seen it hurt a flywheel or starter sometimes it will kind of mess up the bolt but like it said its a last resort... or you can cut the the pastic cover off... I did that once a long time ago and never had a problem but these are always last resorts. The one I cut the cover off actually had the bolt "weld" it self to the crank and so I just threw away the crank but the was a D16 so there milllions of cranks cheap.

Drove it like that for 2 years with no covers... it was nice cause I could change a timming belt like an oil change and took me 20 min... but last resort

Last edited:

natron84

have you used any penetrating solvent or heat on it yet? Alot of people go straight to the muscle on bolts like this, but you'd be surprised how much a little PB blaster can do.

Dtackett

lol im on my second can of pb blaster. broke a snap on extension trying to do it the muscle way, using a breaker bar and a new snap on extension now, but waiting until tomorrow to let eh pb blaster do some more work, ive also done the old trick me and my uncle used to do on muscle cars, soak a rag in oil, wrap the rag around the bolt for a day, keeping oil on it, then trying, ive also tried the tighten first to break the hold, then loosen (has worked a few times for me but rarely try it. i think i may just have to take it to a shop on have them do it with their impact, but i really dont want to.

the reason youve been able to do the starter trick on your old civic is because the engine runs clockwise in those, mainly the old integras and a few other cars (very few) that run counter clockwise so yes, if you do the starter trick in a car like mine your going to mess it all up, and over tighten the bolt.

Dtackett

f*** YEAH!!!! TODAY WILL BE A GREAT DAY!!! finally after 3 cans of pb blaster, spraying over and over all night and all morning, 2 hardened steel extensions, one of which was a snap on (first time i ever broke one), and bending a steel fence post using it as a breaker bar, renting a breaker bar from autozone, and spending more cash to do it myself then i would have paid a shop to do all the work for me, the bolt broke loose!!!! and the brand of extension that worked? DURALAST!!!! this has renewed my love for the cheap yet effective duralast tools!!! i still prefer snap-on or a few others before duralast but i wont second guess a last ditch effort with that brand again!!!!

thank you all for your help

WAR 178

Premium User
sometimes it feels so good to have a cheaper tool do a better job than your more highly expensive ones....
makes you feel like you got a great bargain lol

Dtackett

lol yup thanks everyone for your help yall have helped me more on here then any manual has in many ways

hidenplanvew

Im pretty sure d and B motors turn the same direction... congrats on getting the bolt out... I had a V6 that I couldnt get it out even with a 1000 ftlbs impact! I was scared that it would just snap the crank pulley bolt

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
the reason youve been able to do the starter trick on your old civic is because the engine runs clockwise in those, mainly the old integras and a few other cars (very few) that run counter clockwise so yes, if you do the starter trick in a car like mine your going to mess it all up, and over tighten the bolt.
That was my logic too.

and the brand of extension that worked? DURALAST!!!! this has renewed my love for the cheap yet effective duralast tools!!! i still prefer snap-on or a few others before duralast but i wont second guess a last ditch effort with that brand again!!!!
Like 90% of my tools are not "name-brand" and they never break lol. Usually with the right drive size you won't have issues.

Dtackett

now i just gotta get a new keeper for my cam gear, i got an old speaker im going to try and pick mine up with but if that dont work im just goin to goto a pull a part and jack one off a gen3