Apexi PIggyback troubles :(

Ryan005869

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum this is my first post so if its in the wrong place please dont yell at me to much, I apologize. I am very excited as today I bought a 2000 Integra GSR. I love this car and I am excited to do some work to it however there are some things I cannot do myself as I just do not possess the knowledge. One of these things is "piggyback" systems. I have no idea about these and personally I rather not have it in my car. The person I bought it from said its giving the issues. Now to the issues, it doesn't matter if the motor is hot or cold, neutral first second third fourth fifth gear it will not let me go back 5k rpms. It hits 5k religiously and just stops almost like a rev limiter. The guy I bought it from said it was the piggy back system doing this. So I was just wondering if I took that out would it fix the problem? I have not had much of a chance to look at it though i Know its hard wired at least this is what the kid told me, I just thought I would get someone else opinion on it that may have some knowledge/experience with this. Any help would be appreciated thanks. If it helps I do have a check engine light on and ob reader said it was the O2 sensors but I was told before replacing those to fix the piggy back problem because the sensors are probably not bad. Any help would be appreciate thanks :)

Ryan

mteg

Automatic Lover
Which Apexi Piggyback ist it? VAFC, SAFC, NEO? The SAFC will adjust a/f and the VAFC adjusts vtech engangement...The NEO will do both. First thing is check to see if it's wired right, you can download the wiring diagram off the APEXI site. Download the user manual as well. If it's wired up right, it's possible it is set wrong. You need to go in and set it for 4cyl, and also make sure that you have MAP sensor checked vs. Karmen or MAF. I'm not sure about the vafc. If it's a safc, I would zero everything out and start with baseline. Depending on which model, you have to set each correction point between 800 and 7,200 rpm-go for even spacing. You have to do this for both the HI and Low throttle. You also need to set at what point you want low throttle correction to stop and high throttle correction to start (basically how far gas pedal is depressed before afc starts making corrections. I would set the high to around 75% or higher, and the low really doesnt matter at this point.
My suspician is that it is either wired wrong....or set wrong. Start with the wiring diagram. If that's ok go thru and basically reset it. sounds like the guy just wired in and started making changes. Here's a good link on theory and troubleshooting-DSM, but will give you a general idea of what to look for.
http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t42337-how-to-tune-with-the-a39pexi-safc-and-safcii.htm
BTW, tuning with it is going to be trial and error without a wideband...and you can cause signifigant damage if you adjust too much. Keep in mind that you are tuning off the map sensor. Everytime you make a correction to pull fuel (lean) you advance the ignition a little and vice versa, when you add fuel, you retard the ignition.