are LS B18B1 headbolts TTY?

integrabee

yes or no?

Manual does not specify other than on the head exploded view it does not list "replace" by the head bolt, where, for example, it does say "replace" next to the oil control orificeO-ring....And after searching, I would think I would find this simple question already asked and answered, but I guess not.

are they torque to yield?

thanks
rick

mirrorimg

Initially I thought they were, but after reading a lot about them, I have come to the understanding that they are not TTY.

The manual still says to replace them. I would spend a couple extra dollars on the ARP head bolts.

integrabee

The manual still says to replace them. I would spend a couple extra dollars on the ARP head bolts.
Please tell me where in the manual the it says to replace them.
I have the LS manual and have read through the the head installation section.

I don't have a couple extra dollars, as I still have two other cars with low compression I have to deal with, so if I really don't have to replace them, then I won't. I'm not making any mods to the engine, so the torque on them will be the stock ft/lbs, so as long as the threads are fine and I clean out the threads in the head, all should be well...IF they are indeed NOT torque to yield bolts.

Rick

mirrorimg

Now whats the worse that can happen if you don't replace them?
TTY bolts stretch when you install them, and when you loosen them they do not return to their original state. They will not provide pressure needed to re-torque them unpon re-install, or they will snap.

I will have to look into the manual I have at home to see where I saw it.

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
u can re use the head bolt a couple times. but measure them to see if they streched if so replace them. arp studs or bolt are a good upgrade.

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
they are not TTY bolts