ARP extended stud installation

wite2nr

Hey, I just picked up some ARP extended studs for my fronts. Can I install them myself or do I need to take it to the shop. If I need to take it somewhere, how much should I expect to be charged? I'm used to doing all my own work so would prefer to do it myself, but I don't have EVERY tool for every job.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Installing studs isn't that hard to do, but if you've never done it I suggest you have it done or find a friend that has done it to help you out.

I've never replaced them on a honda before, but I will also be getting some soon, so maybe I'll do a how to. I'm sure you don't want to wait that long to have them installed tho. haha

Some cars it's really easy to do, and some cars it's really hard. I can't immagine it being that tough to put new studs in tho.

Basics:
Pound out the old ones
line up the new ones
impact them in

It's honestly that easy, but sometimes you need an extra tool. lol

db8_Joe

yup^^ Thats exactly how I did mine (mine arent extended though). its pretty simple just need to be patient and put some huevos into it.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
theres a tool with a bearing on it to make it easier.

Spody02

Name: Cody
Installing studs isn't that hard to do, but if you've never done it I suggest you have it done or find a friend that has done it to help you out.

I've never replaced them on a honda before, but I will also be getting some soon, so maybe I'll do a how to. I'm sure you don't want to wait that long to have them installed tho. haha

Some cars it's really easy to do, and some cars it's really hard. I can't immagine it being that tough to put new studs in tho.

Basics:
Pound out the old ones
line up the new ones
impact them in

It's honestly that easy, but sometimes you need an extra tool. lol
its not that easy.

at all. the rears are easy. the front is much harder. you have to remove the whole knuck and replace the wheel bearing too or in most cases its going to go bad.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/wheelstuds/extended_wheel_studs_install.php

wite2nr

its not that easy.

at all. the rears are easy. the front is much harder. you have to remove the whole knuck and replace the wheel bearing too or in most cases its going to go bad.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/wheelstuds/extended_wheel_studs_install.php
thank you for the info. I know the rears are easy and you can do it yourself, but I heard different things about the fronts. I might just replace the wheel bearings (which I was trying to avoid due to $$) if I have the studs pressed in/out, but I'll try and see what I can do with a mallet first.

I'd take it to a shop and have I done right
well, shops don't always do things right. my friend had an axle changed at sears and they didn't even use a cotter pin.

Last edited:

Campanelli

OMG it has VTEC?
well, shops don't always do things right. my friend had an axle changed at sears and they didn't even use a cotter pin.
Bahaha what the hell, I only hear nightmares from shops. So far I just do the work or have someone I know that knows what they are doing do it

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
.....I've never replaced them on a honda before, but I will also be getting some soon, so maybe I'll do a how to. I'm sure you don't want to wait that long to have them installed tho. haha
its not that easy.

like I said, I've never replaced them on a honda before

and if you honestly think that looks like something you couldnt do easily, I highly suggest you dont do much of anything to your car.

If you actually read the link you posted, instead of just posting to be a smart ass you'd see that you actually don't remove the knuckle from the vehicle, but you just take the axle out of the hub, and you pound out the hub from the knuckle. That's why you have to replace the wheel bearing, (which is already out of the car when you remove the hub that will take you about 10 minutes to get out) because they just told you to put a 24mm socket on there and hammer on it.

Second, they do make a tool, and believe it or not, the studs you are putting in are threaded on the other side of the stud! So you technically don't need to spend all that time hammering and pressing if you have an impact and a couple washers... But because C-SPEED RACING says so, I guess A legitimate procedure that has been taught and practiced by MILLIONS of Technicians all over the world isn't anywhere near the right way to do it.

Go have your shop install the studs. see if he honestly takes the time to stand there with a hammer and pound them into the hub. :thumbs up

What do you use a cotter pin for on the axle? lol Maybe on your lower ball joint, but not on the axle itself. Thats what the notch on the axle nut is for.

wite2nr

lol, kutcha you know what I meant. anyways, I went ahead a purchased new wheel bearings so I won't have to worry. I just removed the whole knuckle and brought in into an alignment shop with the new studs since I am going to need the new bearings pressed in anyways. They charged $60 (for both sides) to press out the old/in the new studs and install the new wheel bearing , but hey, since I removed the axle / knuckle at least I'll know its being put back together properly. Have you ever seen an axle nut where somebody didn't notch it properly? It's scary to be able to unscrew an axle nut with your bare fingers :shock:

maybe I'll post pics tomorrow if anybody cares.