Auto for 5 Speed

JB50

Hey guys how hard is it to convert auto for manual. Auto is a 1990 2 dr and the donor is a 1990 4 dr. Also 2 dr has ABS will this be a problem? any help would be appreciated:D

Man A

homewreker
abs wont be a problem. the conversion has been covered many times. i was doing this on my project teg but in the end i ended up finding a DB2 (gsr) and got rid of the project. as long as you have a donor car your good to go. the only custom work is a 1 3/4" hole to drill and youll need a costom tranny mount. the mount is now made by innovative mounts. they are about 150. they might be cheaper now. also you'll have to drill 2 holes so that you can bolt the shifter in. when you remove the auto shifter which is a bitch there will be a oval hole you will need to patch. weld in some metal. also there are 2 hoses that run from the auto tranny to the radiator. i never got to this step but you should be able to just remove them from the radiator. here is a list of the parts you will need to retain from the donor car

tranny
clutch disk and pressure plate
flywheel
intake manifold
engine harness
ECU
shift linkage, shifter, shift boot
manual pedals
clutch cable
flywheel bolts
clutch bolts
new bearings.
clutch cover and bolts
manual gauges ( optional )

removing the auto pedals is also kind of a bitch. best to remove the dash. if you have someone that has done this before its no big deal. if not make sure you have at least 2 days to do it. or a week end like fri night - sun night. if you have never removed an engine or tranny before this is gonna take you a long ass time. but hey we all learn somehow

good luck. im here if you need more info

Last edited:

DA_Integra

Not White, Pearl White
abs wont be a problem. the conversion has been covered many times. i was doing this on my project teg but in the end i ended up finding a DB2 (gsr) and got rid of the project. as long as you have a donor car your good to go. the only custom work is a 1 3/4" hole to drill and youll need a costom tranny mount. the mount is now made by innovative mounts. they are about 150. they might be cheaper now. also you'll have to drill 2 holes so that you can bolt the shifter in. when you remove the auto shifter which is a bitch there will be a oval hole you will need to patch. weld in some metal. also there are 2 hoses that run from the auto tranny to the radiator. i never got to this step but you should be able to just remove them from the radiator. here is a list of the parts you will need to retain from the donor car

tranny
clutch disk and pressure plate
flywheel
intake manifold
engine harness
ECU
shift linkage, shifter, shift boot
manual pedals
clutch cable
flywheel bolts
clutch bolts
new bearings.
clutch cover and bolts
manual gauges ( optional )

removing the auto pedals is also kind of a bitch. best to remove the dash. if you have someone that has done this before its no big deal. if not make sure you have at least 2 days to do it. or a week end like fri night - sun night. if you have never removed an engine or tranny before this is gonna take you a long ass time. but hey we all learn somehow

good luck. im here if you need more info
Very good info :thumbs up

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^^ Why? Swapping a tranny is much easier then unhooking everything and trying to match it all up again.

JB50

ya i was gonna keep ithe motor intact do i need to remove the tseering column

JB50

I got the motor/tranny out this weekend it was quick now it looks like i need to swap trans mounts on the body how is this done i was gonna drill out spot welds or what appeas to be spot welds

Man A

homewreker
i already stated that you need to remove the column. atleast release it from the dash. but if you dont remove it you could break the wiper/light stalk cause its gonna be in the way.

I got the motor/tranny out this weekend it was quick now it looks like i need to swap trans mounts on the body how is this done i was gonna drill out spot welds or what appeas to be spot welds
why? just buy the tranny mount made for it by innovative mounts

http://www.innovativemounts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=49321

Last edited:

*01GSR*

I (v) JDM
I don't even get this swap, for the same price as all the replacement parts, custom stuff and just complete bullshit and headaches, just sell it and get what you want.