auto tranny not catching gear?

blitzillist

Professional RiceR
Hi all, i have a automatic integra that im using for my beater until i get the GSR back on the road.... my question is what could possible be this problem......?
When the car is started and i put the transmission in d4 or any of the drives.... the car doesnt go anywhere. If i put gas the car just rev's up like its in neutral. I hope this isnt a blown tranny.... please help!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
So if you put it in 1st manually it won't work? Also does reverse work? Have you noticed any problems with it before this happened like slipping, and did you do anything before this happened like powerbraking or neutral dropping or even manually shifting it? And how many miles does it have on it and what year and model?

mteg

Automatic Lover
Friction pads could be shot. Did it just stop working or were you noticing it missing or slipping. Auto trannys don't go without a few noticable warning signs.

heykosal

Angkorian
Friction pads could be shot. Did it just stop working or were you noticing it missing or slipping. Auto trannys don't go without a few noticable warning signs.
exactly, i had a 96 mitsubishi with 225k miles on it. first the tranny started slipping. then i lost 1st and 4th gears. then one day i stopped at a stop sign, and the car never moved under its own power again. the reason my tranny went out is because i took it to a shop that did a shoddy tranny job, and for some reason painted the whole transmission with some thick rubbery shit and said it fixes leaks. then jiffy lube said because of that paint, they couldnt flush my tranny. so i drove it till it died. LOL::lol::oops:

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Are you talking about the torque converter, I don't think integra trannys have friction pads.

blitzillist

Professional RiceR
i just bought the car for 700 bucks it has 110k on it and its a 97 RS. From my knowledge the previous owner mentioned something about it shifting rough sometimes but then it stopped. Then the girl drove off the road drunk into a ditch and got a DUI and the car sat for alittle over a year before i just picked it up. The car started up like a champ after i got a new battery if that means anything? But when i shift the car in any gear... including reverse D1 D2 D3 and D4 none of them work.... the car just rev's up like its in neutral

mteg

Automatic Lover
I doubt the torque converter would go first. Have you ever changed your tranny fluid?

heykosal

Angkorian
easy and cheap. although i doubt it will fix this problem. sounds a little too late for fluids.

blitzillist

Professional RiceR
i bought the car 3 days ago, had it towed to my house because battery was completely dead.... went and got a new battery and fired her up, went to put it in gear and realized she had a tranny problem

mteg

Automatic Lover
Dude, you got screwed. You should be able to pick a used one up for around $200-400. If you plan on keeping the car a while, check out www.levelten.com .

B18TEG

BLACK DA
most likely torque converter, happened to my auto accord, took it to honda and bam they replaced my tranny for free, it was a recall on acoords

Last edited: