Auto Transmission Modulator

leftyfork

Hi Everyone,
My obsessive compulsive nature won't let me stop working on this car. I'm sick. Anyway, I wanted to share something I have learned that might be helpful.
Ever since I got this car, it never really shifted right (auto). Because I have been working on so many different things, I never got around to it, but this weekend I finally took the modulator valve off the transmission, just to take a look. I discovered that the piston inside was pretty well jammed up inside and not responding to the vacuum signal. I took the vacuum diaphragm off the lower piston valving assembly by removing the four philips screws. I used a vise to hold the modulator and carefully, without stripping the heads, got them loose. After getting that off, I was able to get the piston out by carefully prying it up with a mini screwdriver in two steps, first from the lower chamber of the housing, then up in the higher hydraulic chamber, I could push it a little higher. Then I had to bang it on the workbench to get it to fall out. Once everything was apart, I wet sanded with 2200 paper soaked in transmission fluid both the piston, and the bore. Roll the paper up and push it in the bore to sand. Once I got done polishing it, the piston popped up and down freely on it's spring, which you will see come out with the piston. It sits in the bottom. Put the vacuum actuator back on, put the car back together, shifts like a champ! If anyone wants clarification. let me know

beeray

Hi Everyone,
My obsessive compulsive nature won't let me stop working on this car. I'm sick. Anyway, I wanted to share something I have learned that might be helpful.
Ever since I got this car, it never really shifted right (auto). Because I have been working on so many different things, I never got around to it, but this weekend I finally took the modulator valve off the transmission, just to take a look. I discovered that the piston inside was pretty well jammed up inside and not responding to the vacuum signal. I took the vacuum diaphragm off the lower piston valving assembly by removing the four philips screws. I used a vise to hold the modulator and carefully, without stripping the heads, got them loose. After getting that off, I was able to get the piston out by carefully prying it up with a mini screwdriver in two steps, first from the lower chamber of the housing, then up in the higher hydraulic chamber, I could push it a little higher. Then I had to bang it on the workbench to get it to fall out. Once everything was apart, I wet sanded with 2200 paper soaked in transmission fluid both the piston, and the bore. Roll the paper up and push it in the bore to sand. Once I got done polishing it, the piston popped up and down freely on it's spring, which you will see come out with the piston. It sits in the bottom. Put the vacuum actuator back on, put the car back together, shifts like a champ! If anyone wants clarification. let me know
Hello lefty. you have PMed me a while ago about the location of the vacuum modulator and i did pull it out and did exactly what you have told me (mine was jammed up as well) and put it back together and still have that cold shift issue. i have determined that the bottom vacuum line is not active, the top one going to it works well but getting nothing from the bottom as i disconnected it from the tranny and checked it plugging it with my finger. also, there is a larger port just above the line that goes to the tranny (directly under the battery tray) and i sucked and blew through it and they work together but there is nothing connecting through the larger port on top. do you know if something is supposed to go to it? and could it be possible that since i get no activity from th bottom line going to the modulator that the diaphram may be no good? thanks again.

leftyfork

The bottom hose is a drain. There should never be vacuum there. If you fixed the modulator, and there is vacuum to the top port, your transmission is likely just tired. Remember that the reason why your modulator was jammed up is because there is debris floating around in there causing the jam up. Sorry dude. Do what you can to keep it alive. JDM engine zone has 90 transmissions.

Ben303

i need sum1 to tell me where to find that modulator valve i want to clean mine out what tools will i need and is it easy