Automatic to manual swap

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
so i have a 1991 Acura Integra GS four door

its Currently has an Auto tranny.

i would like to swap it for a manual tranny.

can anyone give me advice toward what a good manual tranny is for my car?

and what all would i need to get and get rid of. like would my TCM leave the picture? so what would i do? wouldnt a lack of set off the tranny trouble codes? need a little help.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
justincpowell said:
can anyone give me advice toward what a good manual tranny is for my car?
"Good" is a highly subjective term. What transmission is ideal really depends on your modifications, expectations and personal preference.

Shorter geared transmissions (B16A) will give you much quicker gear ratios, but you also will end up cruising at a higher RPM at freeway speeds increasing noise drone and decreasing gas mileage.

You have one of the lowest (numerically) gear ratios for the car, going higher can benefit acceleration, but gear ratios are all about compromise.

I think the non-VTEC Integras could benefit from slightly lower gear ratios (numerically higher). But I wouldn't go too drastic if you do not intend to build up the engine as some of the shorter options available are not ideal for the power delivery.

As for parts:

Manual tranny, shift linkage, manual tranny console, shifter, ECU, manual pedal assembly, slave and master cylinders and associated hardware, starter, flywheel, clutch, manual Intermediate shaft and manual tranny mounts

I may have missed something, but I think that's right

Last edited:

DumaDa9

Yes you could go with a shorter geared b16 transmission, this all depends on if you want to do a hydro conversion while you're swapping everything, you could then move to the gsr hydro transmission which will give you shorter gear ratios than your ls without compromising the gas mileage too much, or if you do come across one you can pick up a cable gsr transmission

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
well i'm going to swap for a B16A1

so our clutch works off of the hydrolic set up(slave and master cylinder)?

lol yeah the day after i posted this i was in school(im studing to become ASE certified) and me and my teacher talked about it nd he taught me all the stuuf about gear ratio's.

i think what im gonna do is a JDM B16A swap with rebuild internals and im going to supercharge it probably.

ill build it for top end but ill use the supercharger(centrifugal) as more or less an assist, assuming that they make them in a bolt on application for my teggy. my initial plan was to build and turbo the B18A1 but ive done some research and the B16A is going to be an interesting build plug im onlly gonna have to add 5 wires to the PCM harness. right now ive gotta get this thing fixed so i can get to and from school. but on the side im going to obtain the B16A. and all that I'll need for the manual Transaxle.

also i may stay automatic and work with the torque multiplication and just add in clutches to the clutch packs to make it handle more power... idk yet. depends on which is going to do me more good.

Thanks for the advice. i owe yall!

hondacore

thats kind of a rough swap btw...not to discourage you but going from auto to manual sucks..i tried and gave up it was a serious headache.

evilminion88

I ate the bones
4 words... "pain in the ass" just sell your 4dr teg to some kid who don't know how to use a stick lol and buy a manual trans, lighter 2dr teg. Thats your best bet... J-spec style baby :p