Automatic Transmission problems (i think)

tegrarich15

I bought a 97 integra a few days ago
In park it revs up to 2000 then when you put it in reverse or drive it goes back down to 1000
Also the car jumps when shifting into reverse. Really scared ill have to replace the whole transmission please help

Critical_H1tt

Check into ur mounts in the jumping. Check the iacv for the idle issue.is it high rpm when ur driving? Check the idle screw on the tb

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Ganyon

The jumping when changing gear is normal. Check the trans fluid. It should be red. If its dark or black, tyen change it. Its a simple drain and refill procedure. You have to use 3 quarts of fluid. I recommend either honda or royal purple atf.

tegrarich15

the rpms are fine when im driving it goes to like 800 when at a stop
Ganyon, i know royal purple is synthetic can i use it for high mileage? (220k+ i bought the car with a vss problem so the odometer stopped working who knows how long ago) and also i wanted to do a flush using this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY would that be okay?
i dont want to mix old fluid with new... it seems almost pointless

Ganyon

Don't do any kind of flush. Just drain and refill. The synthetic is just fine. Its made so you can mix the fluids and even go back to non synthetic. I love the stuff, but its expensive.

Ganyon

Also, you want to slowly clean out the fluid. Just drain and refill, drive a couple hundred miles, repeat until clean.

osiris19

Also, you want to slowly clean out the fluid. Just drain and refill, drive a couple hundred miles, repeat until clean.
You don't have to drive it to change the fluid, although it is better if you do. Just drain and refill 6-9 times. You can just run the engine til! Operating temperature and then shift through all gears several times, and then shut out and drain and refill and then repeat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tegrarich15

You don't have to drive it to change the fluid, although it is better if you do. Just drain and refill 6-9 times. You can just run the engine til! Operating temperature and then shift through all gears several times, and then shut out and drain and refill and then repeat.

That sounds like even more haha

Ganyon

It is a lot, but its the only way to get it clean. You could also change it with every oil change until its nice and clean.

osiris19

Yeah but its the only way to flush these cars because mechanically flushing tends to destroy the transmission. Changing the fluid three or four times takes all the crap and debris with the old fluid and the new fluid pushes it out.