automatic transmission question

larp

bay area chillin
how bad is it to drive with my automatic 93 GS at S3 and S4 on and off the freeway? i've been doing it for a few days, and i'm pretty sure its been saving me on gas.. but is it worth it?

speedin

The Transporter
How is it saving you gas? All S3 will do is keep the trans from shifting into 4th. S4 is just normal, trans just does what it needs to do. Doesnt actually hold the car in only 4th or 3rd. And is it S3, S4 or D3, D4? Maybe its different on DA's but on DC's its 1,2,D3,D4.

So to sum it all up, stick it in S4(D4) and drive around everywhere in that.

Last edited:

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
Your going to f up the transmission and/or axel if you keep doing that.
eh not really. the way youre gonna save gas is by leaving it in drive or S4 and staying at one steady speed so the TCC can do its job. as for it injuring the transmission i see no reason how or why it would. 3rd and 4th are highway gears and i do believe on yours theyre both overdrive gears so yes its top end and better on gas.

please explain how it could cause damage im curious. im not being a smart ass but i dont know of a way that it could so help me learn if you can explain it.

.Cortez

94' LS
Your going to f up the transmission and/or axel if you keep doing that.
False, From what I understand. As shifting an automatic trans, Manually such as that while moving like that is bad, There is an open gate from third to forth and back and forth between the two, just like between neutral and drive, and neutral and reverse. aslong as your not slamming it from neutral to drive while driving backwards or something stupid, working these open gates should not harm your tranny. even from 4th to third drop.

This is what i'm currently believing. If I'm completely wrong please let me know. I hope I have something right for once! haha

And no, driving in Third will not save you gas, The higher the RPMs, the lower the MPG. Therefore you want to be in the highest possible gear.

SketchX13

i-VTEC do you?
eh not really. the way youre gonna save gas is by leaving it in drive or S4 and staying at one steady speed so the TCC can do its job. as for it injuring the transmission i see no reason how or why it would. 3rd and 4th are highway gears and i do believe on yours theyre both overdrive gears so yes its top end and better on gas.

please explain how it could cause damage im curious. im not being a smart ass but i dont know of a way that it could so help me learn if you can explain it.
Well first off switching from D4 to D3 while doing highway speeds will cause the transmission to grind a little bit. You can't hear or feel it happening but it does happen, but if you shift from D3 to D4 nothing bad happens all it will do is switch gears normally.

False, From what I understand. As shifting an automatic trans, Manually such as that while moving like that is bad, There is an open gate from third to forth and back and forth between the two, just like between neutral and drive, and neutral and reverse. aslong as your not slamming it from neutral to drive while driving backwards or something stupid, working these open gates should not harm your tranny. even from 4th to third drop.

This is what i'm currently believing. If I'm completely wrong please let me know. I hope I have something right for once! haha

And no, driving in Third will not save you gas, The higher the RPMs, the lower the MPG. Therefore you want to be in the highest possible gear.

Also if you shift from D4 to D3 when your car is idle nothing will happen as well since the car isn't in motion, and D3 will not save up gas since it does lower the gear it uses higher RPMs, therefore you feel the car accelerating faster.

Only reason why I say is bad is because my friend started doing this ever since I got a manual car (Guess he feels like I'm superior that i can drive manual? or jealousy? I don't know) And he owns a 97 LS Teggy, about three to four months or so after doing this his car jerks a whole lot when going from reverse to D4 and now only does that happen when he accelerates slowly or a bit faster than normal you can hear a slight grinding/whirring noise, so I'm highly positive its the axel since you can hear the noise coming from that area, and he still has to check out the noise since then.

.Cortez

94' LS
I wouldnt know if that has damaged my tranny, as my tranny has always made a funny noise while in Reverse, and has always jerked hard while going in and out of Drive and Reverse... I want to swap so badddddd

SketchX13

i-VTEC do you?
I wouldnt know if that has damaged my tranny, as my tranny has always made a funny noise while in Reverse, and has always jerked hard while going in and out of Drive and Reverse... I want to swap so badddddd
Well my friends car doesn't whir or grind while in reverse it does that noise when he is in D4 as soon as he accelerates (as if driving out of a driveway/parking lot etc.) it makes the noise, and if he is going about say 25-30 mph and has to accelerate to pass a person in the other lane it does the noise for about a second and a half. As for the jerking i wouldn't know how hard its supposed to jerk since my cousin's car and my moms car doesn't jerk at all while shifting to reverse to D4 or vice versa, while my friends it jerks to the point where it makes your head bop a little bit.

Haha so you planning on swapping?

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
Well first off switching from D4 to D3 while doing highway speeds will cause the transmission to grind a little bit. You can't hear or feel it happening but it does happen, but if you shift from D3 to D4 nothing bad happens all it will do is switch gears normally.

Also if you shift from D4 to D3 when your car is idle nothing will happen as well since the car isn't in motion, and D3 will not save up gas since it does lower the gear it uses higher RPMs, therefore you feel the car accelerating faster.

Only reason why I say is bad is because my friend started doing this ever since I got a manual car (Guess he feels like I'm superior that i can drive manual? or jealousy? I don't know) And he owns a 97 LS Teggy, about three to four months or so after doing this his car jerks a whole lot when going from reverse to D4 and now only does that happen when he accelerates slowly or a bit faster than normal you can hear a slight grinding/whirring noise, so I'm highly positive its the axel since you can hear the noise coming from that area, and he still has to check out the noise since then.
how often does he change the fluid? or even check it? 9 times out of 10 thats what causes automatic tansmission/axle problems. yes dogging it and improper shifts will shorten fluid life in a automatic transaxle when fluids fail, clutch packs, bands, TC's etc all follow. as for the D4 to D3 idk about that. im sure the gears are blocked/sencro'd and RPM has to weight alot in it. but there is no need for a 4th to third downshift on the highway unless youre trieng to race shibuya style race... and thats not really intended for double overdrive automatics like ours.