Automatic transmission shifting harshly

97IntegraGS

I recently purchased a 97 integra, automatic tranny. Basically when I am accelerating through the gears, especially 1-2 and sometimes 3rd gear, the car feels like it's like jamming from gear to gear, the whole car somewhat jumps and my passengers look like they got whiplash when they get outta the car.

The problem is not as bad when I either ease off the gas or bring the rpms to the 3k-3.5k range. But it's really annoying and I don't want to mess up the tranny any further if it's already damaged at the moment.

Also when I shift into reverse or D4/D3 the car shakes like I ran into a wall or something..

I was just wondering if anybody had some insight on this problem, any info would be great. Hope I don't need to replace/rebuild the tranny :(

Ganyon

I have the same problem. I've changed the tranny fluid twice within the thousand miles I've put on the car. It seems to be getting better. Also if you let it warm up it won't snatch as bad.

FMelo718

I have the same problem and its annoying as crap. Especially when you try to take off while your car is still cold, it feels like someone ran into you at a pretty good speed. Well it might be your motor mounts because i know one of mine needs replaced... would love an answer to this question

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
couple things,

1) hondamatic transmissions are meant to have their fluid changed at a regular interval closer to that of engine oil, i believe its every 10k or so you open the drain plug on the bottom of the trans, that will drain out 3 quarts, and then you replace 3 quarts.

2) in general all hondamatic transmissions have a harsh shifting feel to them, more so in the SP7A because it uses much higher line pressures and runs a 2600rpm stall converter

3) check your transmission mounts, there are two on the trans side, one is directly below the intake tube and very easy to change, i actually did mine the other day, took me 10 minutes, the other is directly beneath that on the under side of the transmission. If they are torn, or old and worn out, they can cause clunking like that. Same deal with the motor mounts as well.

97IntegraGS

Yeah I always let the engine heat up before I go anywhere and it doesn't get into d4/rev as hard but the when the car is all jumpy getting through the gears it gets kinda annoying. I'm not sure if this guy who sold me the car had the tranny flushed/serviced recently and I plan on going in later this month to do so. Just wanted to get an idea on what's going on so I don't look like a nim wit if it's just something little.

97IntegraGS

3) check your transmission mounts, there are two on the trans side, one is directly below the intake tube and very easy to change, i actually did mine the other day, took me 10 minutes, the other is directly beneath that on the under side of the transmission. If they are torn, or old and worn out, they can cause clunking like that. Same deal with the motor mounts as well.
Hmm the tranny mounts/motor mounts kinda make sense now that I think of it. I'll be checking on those tomorrow then, thanks. I would do it today but got work :( lol.

Ganyon

Maybe I should check my mounts too.

97IntegraGS

Sounds like motor mounts are the main problem here for everyone lol. Well I mean I'm not putting my engine/tranny at any risk of getting damaged by driving with shot mounts, am I??

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Sounds like motor mounts are the main problem here for everyone lol. Well I mean I'm not putting my engine/tranny at any risk of getting damaged by driving with shot mounts, am I??
nah, its just annoying, just make sure you keep up with the fluid change intervals, thats what will damage the transmission

Fredo209

I recently purchased a 97 integra, automatic tranny. Basically when I am accelerating through the gears, especially 1-2 and sometimes 3rd gear, the car feels like it's like jamming from gear to gear, the whole car somewhat jumps and my passengers look like they got whiplash when they get outta the car.

The problem is not as bad when I either ease off the gas or bring the rpms to the 3k-3.5k range. But it's really annoying and I don't want to mess up the tranny any further if it's already damaged at the moment.

Also when I shift into reverse or D4/D3 the car shakes like I ran into a wall or something..

I was just wondering if anybody had some insight on this problem, any info would be great. Hope I don't need to replace/rebuild the tranny :(
Hi, did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm having the same exact issue with mine.

phatintegra

Banned
Trans fluid should be change every 30k. I would put Lucas oil. It makes a huge different on the shifting. Like Spawn said also check your mounts.

Last edited:

Zaf

Need help locating a mechanic shop

Hey, just joined CI. I got a 94 Integra LS. I read couple of the posts here and i do experience a lil prb with the timing of the shifts. Im gonna start by replacing the tranny fluid first. Anyone know of a good honda/acura mechanic for this job around Long Island? Thnks alt guys..