automatic won't start

sleeper_92

its not an integra but the secretary at my school asked me to look at her car which is a 93 accord lx automatic. i havent had much expierience with automatics. Anyway sometimes the car starts normal and sometimes the gear selector on the guage cluster wont have park illuminated and the car wont start i think she said if she pulls the shifter into drive and back to park it will illuminate and the car will start.

rockadilla

thats right.
Sounds to me like the shift linkage is either getting cought up or maybe there isn't enought tranny fluid just my :twocents:

sleeper_92

i cleaned the grounds, charged the battery and cleaned the contacts and the terminals on the battery and got it started. when it was idling the D4 light was blinking no matter what gear you put it in. i looked around and the last student left the jumper wire jumped so i took the piece of wire out of it and the D4 light quit blinking drove it around the building shut it off and tried starting it now when you turn the key to the start position the brake light on the cluster comes on and the engine wont turn over.

Hacksterbaby

Sounds similar to the problem I had. Probably a bad shifter position sensor switch, in the console alongside the shift lever. The contacts wear down over time, and especially when it gets cold, the plastic frame of the switch shrinks a little and the terminals don't contact, and the car doesn't "know" it's in park. I cleaned mine once and it helped, but finally had to just replace it. About a $50 part and easy to change out.