Axle Nut lock Removal

randombeliever1

Anyone have tips on how to remove my axel nut lock bearing? I tried using a breaker bar and I ended up breaking it. I tried using a flathead and hammering out the indented part and no luck. It looks like the previous person who tried to take it off used heat and it looks somewhat welded together. I'm running out of options. Can someone offer some insight?

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
I mean unless you push that dent out, it really wont move haha. So you're going to have to hit it harder and pop it out somehow. Have you tried pb blaster and a powerful impact?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
PB blaster, knock out the dent with a punch or a chisel if worse comes to worse find someone with a 1" breaker bar.

randombeliever1

I mean unless you push that dent out, it really wont move haha. So you're going to have to hit it harder and pop it out somehow. Have you tried pb blaster and a powerful impact?
I haven't tried pb blaster and I unfortunately don't own an impact. I'll be sure to give those a try

Noneed2Hate

home depot, lowes, anywhere that has tools really... seems a bit silly to ask :p

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I never bother removing the indent. This is my technique:

Pop the wheel cap out and put the car on the ground on its wheels in gear plus parking brake.
Use a jack stand to hold the breaker bar and just stand on the handle. The weight of the car plus traction of the tire holds the axle from turning plus the jack stand keeps the torque focused on the nut. Never failed me.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
I never bother removing the indent. This is my technique:

Pop the wheel cap out and put the car on the ground on its wheels in gear plus parking brake.
Use a jack stand to hold the breaker bar and just stand on the handle. The weight of the car plus traction of the tire holds the axle from turning plus the jack stand keeps the torque focused on the nut. Never failed me.

Damn. Havent seen that before!

OP use 1/2 breaker bar or larger. Non of that 3/8 stuff lol.

LightSkinbyYosi

When I did mine I soaked the axel nut for like 4 days with PB Blaster and broke 2 breaker bars, thank god for receipts, and I had a nice little electric impact from Harbor Freight and just used the 2 together little by little and boom it came free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nick_C78

Am I the only one around here that believes in air tools? I use an IR Thunder Gun impact...works everytime... lol

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Am I the only one around here that believes in air tools? I use an IR Thunder Gun impact...works everytime... lol
Forget air, use battery powered. I have the kobalt 1/2 inch 18v and Milwaukee 3/8 11v. Haven't found a bolt I can't take off yet haha