B-series coil on plug

TheMyth

This is my setup. Figured i would share my work. Seen several ppl interested in it.
I'm using the AEM v2 ems. I had collected the v2 ems, k-series coils, AEM EPM, and Rywire coil mounting plate. Rywire wouldn't sell me their wiring harnesses out of their "plug/play" kit. They said they make all kinds of modifications in the ecu which is a lie. To do this setup, you have to open the ecu, pull the boards apart, and change some jumpers around. All they want to do is charge $2000. for that kit.
So I bought their "k-series/S2000 adapting harness".

You can see that the harness is a generic fitment, and I wanted it to plug into the dizzy location.
Had a junk/burned up P28 ecu laying around. So I used the harness socket and a ecu wiring harness to create my own harness extension.

There is a lot of soldering to do this. Took a lil bit of time.

But after looking over AEM manuals/Rywire wiring schematics from the harness/Acura service manual and figuring out my pin outs(which I made all pin out changes in the ecu extension), I soldered and heat shrinked all my connections.

So, I made the harnesses/altered Rywires to get the harnesses that Rywire wouldn't sell me.
And here is the setup installed on the engine.

Definitely a lot cleaner, and if anything happens, I can revert back to distributor in about 5 minutes total..

TheMyth

Well, I got a version 1 for a deal and used it to upgrade to the version 2 thru AEM. So I definitely have less in the ems than they are new. Traded work for the coils. Bought the engine harness($175) and plate($75) from Rywire. Which I can make duplicate of the plate. Very simple!! And I made the interior harness myself. So I only have money tied up in the ems, engine harness and the coil plate.
As for gains. On a stock setup, it will probably be minimum. Just for the fact that this is just a ignition upgrade. Not installing anything that is allowing freer flowing air into the engine, or forcing air into the engine.. You should notice good gains from higher horse power setups, just for the fact of bring able to burn hotter/cleaner. It definitely revs a lot smoother on my setup!!
If you run a distributor, you have your single coil. That coil has to fire 4x per engine rotation. That means the coil is building heat each time it has to fire per rotation. As for coil on plug, each coil only fires 1x per rotation. And your coils will be able to give you a better repeatable performance due to reduction of heat.

TheMyth

And a benefit is your coil is sitting on top of the plug, so you eliminate the plug wires. Eliminate the distance for the charge to travel and break down of the wires to the plugs.

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
No, its a factory air box that I modded to do the same thing as the icebox. Icebox cost too much. I've bought one when comptech first sold them.. never again!
Really, why? And what did you use to mod it? Lol sorry to thread jack

96LSteg

Jemel
I want to mod a stock air box. I threw mine away ages ago so now I have to find another. And one day I want some of those coils....nice and clean

Sent from your mom's room using Tapatalk

kerneldj

bump!!

Really clean clean !!!!!and help full post i really was searching all over for this info the only thing the scare me its the soldering or the ping allocation...if you can throw any on thispart ???

TheMyth

AEM has a extension harness(obd1 to obd1). I think there is another company that has one too. Just can't remember the name right now. You can buy that and use that for your pin-out changes so you don't have to hack into your body harness. As for the exact pin-outs, it depends if you run wasted spark or sequential spark.

Which ems system are you thinking about using??